• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

HO scale 1950s Finnuken's Pharmacy

Started by Bill Gill, March 05, 2019, 08:08:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Gill

Lawton, Just like me to go at this in a half-bricked way and lose points because of it. :)

Barney

Nice work very life like in such a small scale
Barney

Bill Gill

Thank you, Barney. Distance enhances viewing.

1-32

Bill Gill

Bill Gill

Here's a look at some of the things used to make the items on the shelves:

Bill Gill

1. Bits of transparent plastic with paint for "tops"
2. Twist-off tips from dog flea medication tube
3. Corrugated strips cut from clear music CD case
4. Colored styrene cut from bread wrapper clips**
5. Glass seed beads with nut- bolt-washer "tops"
6. Gold colored metal crimp beads for jewelry
7. Leaf springs cut from HO caboose truck
8. Florescent bits turned from "Light Brights" toy
9. HO shutter slats with crosscuts part way thru
10. Bits of lenticular lens toy^^ & added backing image
11. Tiny bits plastic fiberoptic rod with paint "caps"
12. Two tiny steel screws
13. Styrene rod, iridescent paint, nut, bolt, washer "cap"

** Using colored plastic meant didn't have to paint so good bond and no paint to smear with solvent cement.

^^Those flat sheets with a ridged face. When you tilt the sheet the image "inside" appears to move. The tall rotating display is mounted on a cutdown base from Model Power street sign.

The other items are mostly styrene strips, sprue or rods with tiny labels cut from magazines. Open boxes in the display cases are .005 styrene glued to sides of whatever the contents are. There is also a very tiny snail shell (not visible in either photo) on a shelf in the back.

Lawton Maner

Is this reuse, re-purposing, or recycling?  Bonus points if you can find a use for takeaway packaging.  ;D ;D

Bill Gill

Is this reuse, re-purposing, or recycling? Lawton
Yes!

I haven't tried it, but clear plastic blisters from some packaging could possibly be cut for use as curved window glass. I found a small vacuum molded packaging "well" that looks like a one piece rectangular fiberglas bathtub insert with a shelf around the top. Too modern for my time frame, but tempting to use somehow.

Lawton Maner

And, of course the foam clam shells can be carved to look like stone and brick. 

I like some of the vacuum formed boxes because the plastic isn't totally flat and from some angles takes on the appearance of hand blown glass.   

SandiaPaul

This is very nicely done, really nice work Bill!
Paul

Bill Gill

Peter_T1958

Most of the interior furnishings and the products are unknown for a modeler with Euopean background. As far as I may remember, pharmaciese looked quite different here in the fifties/sixties, but the MAD cover even I know myself;-)
Terrific work, and all of that in HO scale!!!

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

Bill Gill

Thank you, Peter. I think the MAD cover might be universally recognizable :)
Here is one of the old photographs used for reference for the interior appearance

finescalerr

Chuck Doan's father also built a beautiful diorama of a diner or drug store. If Chuck happens to muddle by this thread maybe he can post his dad's work. -- Russ