• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Long term experiences with masking fluids?

Started by Hydrostat, October 03, 2017, 11:14:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydrostat

For some reasons I need to install windows to an mostly unfinished building. I'd like to protect them for next steps like adding interior and facade painting and so on. I used Humbrol Maskol for painting issues but always removed it the next day. Any experiences with long term use of that material or any other suggestions? It needs to remain for at least a Year or so.

Cheers,
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Bill Gill

Water soluble masking fluids should be ok, but if you paint around the windows and some gets on the masking film and sits for a year you might have problems at the seam between the film and the window trim. Definitely don't use painter's tape. A neighbor just found out the hard way that the blue tape he used to mask edges of painted walls (full size, inside his house) took the paint off with it or blistered the paint when he peeled it off 6 months later.

Greg Hile

LOL, I have a doorway in my house that has had blue tape around the doorway for several years now (don't ask, it just has). I just pulled the tape off and everything was fine but, yeah, I think I got lucky ...

Hydrostat

Quote from: Bill Gill on October 04, 2017, 11:42:38 AM
Water soluble masking fluids should be ok, but if you paint around the windows and some gets on the masking film and sits for a year you might have problems at the seam between the film and the window trim. Definitely don't use painter's tape. A neighbor just found out the hard way that the blue tape he used to mask edges of painted walls (full size, inside his house) took the paint off with it or blistered the paint when he peeled it off 6 months later.

Thanks Bill, that's what I' try to beware of. I'd like to use the fluid not for masking (frames are already painted) but rather as a kind of protection against involuntary splatter or damage, so your first point with the seam should be no problem. I'm rather asking if the rubbery film dries out and gets crackles or somehow tends to get irremovable.
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"