• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Fordson tugger hoist

Started by Chuck Doan, January 10, 2017, 09:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

looking good and so realistic
Barney

Peter_T1958

For me Chucks work is a phenomenon. I will be honest: At first sight all I saw was a pinkish engine piece with some heavy chipping - not very spectacular! And I remembered the same thought I had some time ago at post 94 of this thread. 
To me it seems, Chuck knows exactly what is of importance at that very moment and is not afraid of doing steps, I would never dare to do. I have reflected on my modelling and came to the conclusion that I have always the right balance at every moment in mind and so most likely miss some very important extremes that are important on the way to such a results Chuck can archieve. Hmm, very difficult for me to explain in English... :-[

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

finescalerr

It is quite simple: Chuck himself is a phenomenon. He not only sees every relevant detail but has the skill and artistry to reproduce every one and to combine each part into an exquisitely realistic and convincing whole. Frankly, it's just disgusting. -- Russ

shropshire lad

Actually I find Chuck's work rather disappointing . If you are going to go the trouble of getting the machine looking perfect with all specially manufactured parts you might as well go the whole hog and make the engine work . After all how much extra work would it take to run up a few valves and pistons etc.?

Sad to say that I think we might have to re-evaluate Chuck's status of superhero !

Chuck Doan

Well, I am not returning the cape! 

Thanks for the nice words. Nick, I did come across pictures of a 1/4th scale fully functional Fordson, but model engineering is beyond me.

Painting and weathering is always daunting to me.  It's fun when it works but it often doesn't, so I plan to fail. The initial coats will sluff off nicely in a vat of Windex. The weathering is done with pigments and Prismacolor pencils; both things that can be readily altered or removed. I also tend to paint and weather items separately, so If I don't like something I can strip it or whatever before I add it to the model.  The tractor body is the single largest piece, so finishing it (and liking it) will be a big step.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Chuck Doan

I am finally beginning to add parts and start the weathering process on the tractor.  I'm starting on the rear half first. The footrest and the dashboard/steering box are 3D printed parts.  I am using Prismacolor Premier pencils, Oil paints, finely sifted real dirt and Bragdon weathering pigments. Fortunately, the Fordson tractor could (and often did) leak oil out of pretty much every seam and joint.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

finescalerr

Despite your having less time for modeling, the artistry seems consistent with your usual adequate standards. -- Russ

Lawton Maner

Now that Nick has thrown down the gauntlet, its time for him to show all of us how it is done.  I personally want to see 1/32 scale working spark-plugs from him.

TRAINS1941

Looks realistic to me!

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Bill Gill

Looks like a cross between a Sea-doo and a Star Wars Starfighter - but, it looks really good.

Peter_T1958

Arrrgh! That's exactly what I meant: some random scratches here, some supposedly accidental scratches there!
And all that finally results in... a masterpiece! :o
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

Barney

Hi Chuck - The Prismacolor pencils  "me being a bit thick in this area " can you give us a brief description of process of using them in conjunction with the other bits e.g. oil paints and Bragdon pigments how do you start ? to achieve this amazing finish !
Barney
and Im sure a few others !

shropshire lad

Quote from: Lawton Maner on April 07, 2019, 04:02:55 PM
Now that Nick has thrown down the gauntlet, its time for him to show all of us how it is done.  I personally want to see 1/32 scale working spark-plugs from him.

Yes , well , er, I'm a bit busy at the moment getting ready for a trip Down Under but I'll get straight onto it when I get back . Promise .

finescalerr

Oh, good. For a moment I thought you might try to weasel out of accepting that challenge. -- Russ

Lawton Maner

I think he's fleeing to the end of the world.