• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Queensland Miners Cottage 1:24

Started by JohnTolcher, May 07, 2015, 08:09:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allan G

John; Your builds are wonderful. I do so much learning from them as well as just enjoying them. Thank you for sharing.....Allan

Hydrostat

Quote from: JohnTolcher on February 29, 2016, 09:16:05 AM
Here is another photo taken outside in the fierce North Queensland sun.

That's outstanding! How did you apply the gouache washes? Each straw/tuft individually by brush? I have to try this method. Looking at my own attempts the fibre's appearance never is convincing.

Thanks for posting those pictures!

Cheers,
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

JohnTolcher

Quote from: Hydrostat on March 01, 2016, 01:23:08 PM
Quote from: JohnTolcher on February 29, 2016, 09:16:05 AM
Here is another photo taken outside in the fierce North Queensland sun.

That's outstanding! How did you apply the gouache washes? Each straw/tuft individually by brush? I have to try this method. Looking at my own attempts the fibre's appearance never is convincing.

Thanks for posting those pictures!

Cheers,
Volker

Thanks for your comments guys. Volker I found mixing the Gouache with soapy water helped it flow. I used both paint brush and airbrush to add the gouache, using a very weak wash to build up the colour gradually. Sometimes I painted individual tufts, sometimes I airbrused in larger areas, trying to get the balance between natural variation and consistency. Note that the dry paint appears different to wet paint. So it's best to leave the work to dry before assessing and continuing.

Cheers
John
Cheers
John in Australia

TRAINS1941

Beautiful work John.  Is there any ratio for the Gouache to soapy water?

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

JohnTolcher

Quote from: TRAINS1941 on March 02, 2016, 12:11:20 PM
Beautiful work John.  Is there any ratio for the Gouache to soapy water?

Jerry
Thanks Jerry, no I couldn't say. It's not very scientific, just a matter of what looks right. But not much colour is needed, the jute is already a straw colour like grass. Also only a very small amount of dishsoap was added to the water, just a squirt in half a glass of water I guess.

Cheers
John
Cheers
John in Australia

michael mott

Hi john I just spent the time to go through you whole thread, thanks for all the SBS they are really very helpful modeling trees is not something I would want to tackle and your work on the Eucalyptus is outstanding. as is the rest of the model.

Michael