Westlake Publishing Forums
July 25, 2021, 03:32:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:     REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Home   Help Search Login  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 12
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 Foot gauge tractor loco in 1/16th scale  (Read 79950 times)
Ray Dunakin

« Reply #90 on: November 22, 2015, 09:04:39 PM »

Good job on that frame.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin’s World
1-32

Hi, I'm Kim.

« Reply #91 on: November 23, 2015, 01:07:21 AM »

looking good chuck but will it work.
kind regards kim
finescalerr
Administrator

« Reply #92 on: November 23, 2015, 02:05:53 AM »

I'm glad you are back at the bench and look forward to watching all this come together. -- Russ
lab-dad

« Reply #93 on: November 23, 2015, 06:46:30 AM »

Great solution!
I like what you did.
Very accurate dimensions too and plenty strong now.

-Mj

Bill Gill

« Reply #94 on: November 23, 2015, 06:51:36 AM »

That's a nice beam, but i'm impressed with the strength of that toothpick! Smiley Good to see this project again.
Hydrostat

« Reply #95 on: November 30, 2015, 06:51:48 AM »

Very good DIY solution with the beams - I'm looking forward to your progress. I think it would have been a bit difficult to mill the profile's sloped shoulders and fillets, unless there's a 5-axis machining center available.

Cheers,
Volker

I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.

I'll fly it. I'll make it.
TRAINS1941

« Reply #96 on: November 30, 2015, 09:44:02 AM »

Nice job Chuck.  Looks really good and glad your leaving the yacht and girls alone for the winter.

Wait a minute you don't have winter there!!!

Jerry

Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin
Peter_T1958

« Reply #97 on: December 02, 2015, 08:05:48 AM »

Hi Chuck

I love you "DIY solution" with the beams. What a result with basic modeling techniques!

All seemed well, but once I started cleaning the wax off, it began bowing and yawning enough to convince me the FUD material was too unstable to use.

I am a bit anxious now as my Transmission wheels (In fact, Volker created them!) are the same FUD material. Is there a risk that they will behave in the same manner one day? Undecided

One more question to your JB Weld fillets:
When I had to fill up panel lines to engrave them anew, I had to learn that the filler should have about the same consistence as the surrounding matrerial.  This was the key for smooth surfaces. Up to this day I used SuperGlue with Baking Soda. Now, would that mean, your JB Weld is about equally hard as Styrene Huh

Thanks, Peter

"Siplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/
lab-dad

« Reply #98 on: December 02, 2015, 08:12:38 AM »

Peter,
Not to hijack Chucks thread but in my opinion the JB weld is darn close to styrene as far as hardness. I have used both quite a bit but never together - yet!
If it is critical you could always use styrene softened  in solvent for the filler.

Mj

Chuck Doan
Mr. Wizard

« Reply #99 on: December 02, 2015, 03:52:25 PM »

Thanks Jerry, I will try to dream about the girls and the yacht tonight and remind them.

Peter, I don't think you will have any trouble. My frame was 2.5 x 6.8 inches and the sections were very thin. I have not had any issues with FUD parts otherwise. I just pushed the envelope a bit too far this time.

I used the JB just as a test, and it worked fine. But I wasn't trying to re-work anything afterwards, so I don't know how well it might re-scribe. I have used it to build up shapes, but I haven't cut into it. Might be kind of crumbly in thin sections.

I will write up what I did, it required virtually no re-work after application. It does seem to stick to styrene; I tried soda-blasting the fillets and they stayed fine.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 03:54:58 PM by Chuck Doan » Logged

“They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details.” -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/
Bill Gill

« Reply #100 on: December 02, 2015, 04:32:52 PM »

Last year I experimented with making rivet heads by applying tiny dots of thick CA onto barely marked location dimples on the side of a pair of HO flatcars. The technique worked fairly well. More recently I experimented using JB Weld instead and when the timing was right, the method worked even better because the JB Weld was more viscous and stayed in place better. There are a couple rivet heads that spread out a little in both cases. The CA is very brittle and really hard to clean up. I haven't tried gently scraping away the excess JB Weld yet. The rivets are very small and might just pop off the styrene. Fortunately the piece represents old rolling stock and a couple mashed rivets don't look out of place. However, Some day i will make a test strip of rivets on some scrap styrene and see how ell the JB Weld can be reshaped when that small.
Chuck Doan
Mr. Wizard

« Reply #101 on: December 02, 2015, 08:31:19 PM »

The JB weld is easy to scrape or sand. I often use the 5 minute version for minor fills. I used the regular stuff for my fillets so I would have lots of time to work it. As Bill says it is viscous and I had no spreading after my fillets were formed.

“They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details.” -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

Chuck Doan
Mr. Wizard

« Reply #102 on: December 05, 2015, 08:24:20 PM »

The prototype frame is welded together, so I started testing some ideas for weld seams. As I had successfully used JB weld for my fillets, I decided to try it for welds.

So far: Apply with a small brush (brush can be cleaned with acetone) along desired seam. Let it set for approx. 3 hours and then work with a tool made from brass tubing. The JB weld is very forgiving and it can be pushed around with a sharp toothpick to even up/form the edges.

This is a test frame. I gave it a quick coat of black primer. Macro shots taken from 1/2" away. Looks promising so far.

Press lightly into seam with the cut side down.

lab-dad

« Reply #103 on: December 05, 2015, 08:41:56 PM »

That looks friggin awesome!!!!!!!
Marty

Ray Dunakin

« Reply #104 on: December 06, 2015, 12:42:41 AM »

Ok, I actually thought those were shots of the prototype welds, and wondered for a moment what happened to the shots of the model! Yes, it looks that real!

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin’s World
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 12
  Print  

Jump to: