• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

New toy

Started by NE Brownstone, October 14, 2014, 07:42:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE Brownstone

I know this is not really the place to post about my newest vintage toy, but the paint job is worth checking out if you plan of modeling a machine shop.  (Russ, feel free to move this if it is in the wrong forum)  Not sure what year the last paint job was applied, but that green with black trim was in vogue at sometime because it seems like every old machine I've ever owned came in that color scheme.  That, or there was a warehouse of mismatched paint that someone was able to sell to every machine shop out there. 

13 x 36 Southbend  It was last used in a foundry pattern shop.  That's why there is wood screwed to the faceplate.  Why use a metal lathe for wood?  More accuracy.    It also came with a couple more face plates and a toolbox full of wood turning tools, albeit, most were made from old files.

The gear-motor is shot, but the rest of the machine is fairly tight.  It has a backgear, which as far as I'm concerned worth the $400 I paid for the machine.  It also has a powered cross-slide.  Something that is rare on most new lathes that are less than a couple grand.

In the picture it is on its skid, on the trailer waiting to be skidded off.  Egyptian style.

below. The heart pounding moment the skid goes over the edge.  I had it tied off so it couldn't go too far. 

Yeah!  The eagle has landed.  After touchdown it is simply a matter of dragging the trailer out from underneath.

Russ
The other, other Russ

lab-dad

Nice!
When can I borrow it?
-Mj

finescalerr

Seems an appropriate place for your post; I'm not too picky about categories. Excellent reference shots. -- Russ

NE Brownstone

Hey Marty, next time you are in town you can swing on by and "pick it up".  Ha ha ha!   

Russ, good.  I figured the peeling paint with 50+ years of dust would entice someone here.  Mmmmmm, dirt.
Russ
The other, other Russ

Terry Harper

Very nice!

I have a 13"x5' South Bend from 1943. Its old and nasty looking but works like a charm.
I traded out the 3 phase 440 motor for a 220 single phase that came with the lathe.

And yes..... I use it for pattern work

for this:

Best regards,

Terry

Stoker

Great stuff, I am a sucker for old machinery. I bet that little brass tag on Terry's machine says" War Finish".  That silvery-grey dappled color was apparently something deemed not needed for war material. I had an old Browne & Sharp internal grinder I picked up for nothing but sweat and a pinch bar that I converted into a tenoning jig many years ago that had that same "War Finish", when most pre-war machinery was green. Most of the manufacturers went with a mild grey color after the war for some reason.  Thanks for sharing guys.
Regards, James                        Modeling in 1:48 after a lengthy bout of Scalatosis Indecisivis

Chuck Doan

Great stuff you guys!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Ray Dunakin

Cool!

Terry, what is that you're making?
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

NORCALLOGGER

SandiaPaul

Terry is making this:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/antique-machinery-history/big-big-wisconsin-t-head-engine-188057/

Funny the number of people you run across on different forums....

Paul
Paul