• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Ghost Town

Started by finescalerr, October 08, 2014, 11:35:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

Well, we probably all go through periods of burnout. I hope you'll "recover" soon and return to delighting us all with your masterful modeling.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

darrylhuffman

I've been on the road in Nevada looking for fresh ideas to add to my pile of "never get around to building" ideas.

My GPS took me to a little town called Nelson.

Not much there so I kept going a few miles and found the real Nelson which was really great.

I took a few photos knowing that Ray Dunakin would have lots more on his site.

Ray has none of Nelson.

When I get home I will post a few of mine.

Stopped by to visit my old friend Brian Block and struck gold.

I had only seen the small dioramas Brian had brought to the Narrow Gauge Conventions.

I had not expected to find a 9 by 6 foot diorama being built in the back room of his apartment.

This one is too large to transport but will eventually be half of a large dio-layout in his living room.

I took a few photos which can not begin to do justice to this large project.

Brian lives alone so he does exactly what he wants to do and his whole house looks like my train room---stuff stacked every where with half built projects laying around here and there.

Like many of us, I had hit the doldrums of the open sea with little wind at my back to make any real progress.

But Brian's approach of having a huge, semi-immovable diorama fill the center of the room so that it could be worked on from all sides really resonated with me.

Having the diorama at elbow level for ease of working, rather than the "correct" eye-level really made a great impression on me as well.

Now if I can just follow-through with my new ideas I may well regain my model building gusto.

Time will tell.
Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com
The search for someone else to blame is always succcessful.

finescalerr

Far too ambitious a project. Suggestion: Build another little diorama about the size of that boat shack you did some years ago. Then build another. Eventually you may fill four square feet and that would be pretty impressive. -- Russ

TRAINS1941

Darryl looking forward to seeing some of those picture.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Juke Joint

Quote from: TRAINS1941 on October 27, 2014, 08:44:51 AM
Darryl looking forward to seeing some of those picture.

Jerry

Indeed, and a certain no name project...hint hint! ;D

phil

David King

I don't know why, but I just felt the urge to log in and reply to this, maybe it's just to give a somewhat different perspective. I've been a member for a long time but have rarely posted, it been quite a few years since I even posted my own modeling project.  It may be that I've been suffering some of the burnout that Marc is talking about since I seem to have little desire to actually build any models.  I do however enjoy looking at photos and reading about high end finescale modeling, especially the kind that is usually posted here, (don't really care for the military stuff.), however I really don't have the desire to take modeling that serious myself so even when I do some modeling it's nothing worthy of this fine forum, so that's why I don't post, but I would certainly miss this forum if it went away.

David
"It's almost written down as a formula, that when a man begins to think that he has at last found his method, he had better begin a most searching examination of himself to see wether some part of his brain has gone to sleep." - Henry Ford

http://www.dsao.fotki.com/

darrylhuffman

David,

If I could step back in time to 1980 which was long before I discovered the internet, I produced many more models and enjoyed myself immensely.

Today I model less but I really enjoy the free exchange of ideas and photos these forums offer.

I did not contribute photos and articles to the magazines back in 1980 as I had nothing worthy of publication.

I think the same remains today.

The standards of the modelers on this forum are so much higher than mine are that I need to be very selective in what I post.

Which is why I rarely post photos or articles.

But I would really hate to see this forum go away as the ideas and photos presented are exceptional.
Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com
The search for someone else to blame is always succcessful.

chester

Not particularly burned out here. Just not very inspired as of late with a lot of personal stuff occupying the space between my ears. But I moved my workbench and have a lot of projects already started so perhaps soon I will have a bit to show. Modeling has always been such good therapy, I can't imagine I will abandon it.

mabloodhound

Good to hear Chester.   I can only imagine what you're going through but sure do enjoy your modeling.
Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

k27rgs

Just been thru 5 months of acute depression due to a number of reasons.

Not sure why, but today was the best day, clear head.....

It's been a long time since I visited this forum and nice to read some of the comments.

Recently for some mental therapy, I played around with my web site.

http://www.modvid.com.au/html/body_miniature_world1.html

Maybe there is something there for members to look at and pass the time away for a few minutes.

cheers everyone

Mario Rapinett ( downunder )

k27rgs

Here are a couple of projects I actually finished this year.     

http://www.modvid.com.au/html/body_swakhammers_fsm.html

http://www.modvid.com.au/html/body_baileys_fsm.html

http://www.modvid.com.au/html/body_josselyn_dock.html

Maybe the fact that I finished these projects, drove me crazy     ;D       

cheers    "M"

lab-dad

Thats a heck of a "done" list!
Good seeing you post Mario!
-Mj

k27rgs

Quote from: finescalerr on October 27, 2014, 12:31:10 AM
Far too ambitious a project. Suggestion: Build another little diorama about the size of that boat shack you did some years ago. Then build another. Eventually you may fill four square feet and that would be pretty impressive. -- Russ

This local Aussie guy started with a few shacks and end up with a small layout in a small  spare room.

Just updated this web page. 

Maybe a few ideas here for some mental therapy

http://www.modvid.com.au/html/body_richard_grinyer.html

cheers all

regards    Mario Rapinett ( Australia )

finescalerr

Mario, now you've made me depressed! Your work and Richard's remind me of why I took up this hobby in the first place and the great feeling I have when I see a terrific model. (That is why I have this website, after all.) Please feel better yourself, retain your clarity, and continue to depress me with your artistry and that of others. -- Russ

TRAINS1941

"M"

Just great to see you posting again.  That was why so many people keep trying to do better because of your modeling.

And a joy to have your website for all to see the many talented people.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin