• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Ghost Town

Started by finescalerr, October 08, 2014, 11:35:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRAINS1941

Quote from: Juke Joint on October 10, 2014, 04:58:51 AM
I'd bet a dollar Marc and Nick are ankle deep in construction projects?

Philip   

There ankle deep but I don't think its projects!! :D

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Hydrostat

Hi all,

I'm stopping by every day and do still think (and hope) that this is going to remain the best modeling forum for a very long term. My projects slowed down a bit because I have to solve some space and occupational problems. Unfortunately response to us contributors ceases all the same as the number of readers increases (same at buntbahn, seasoned with weakening quality ...). I feel really bad for not answering in every thread I do read myself, but always only saying 'well done' without any contentual contribution is a bit too less on far sight. Sometimes I'm a bit astonished that questions in my threads remained unanswered although a lot of people read them. Maybe I'm writing too much  :-\? So a 'like button' may be a good way to express approval at least. But I think everyone here is contributing contentually if he can. Maybe quality deters some people, but should or could this be a reason for not posting anymore? The result would be weakening quality. And we all started as bloody fumblers, didn't we?

To go one step further: The 'like buttons' are a typical social media symptom. And social media seem to be one part of the ghost town problem to me. Social media is based on contribution, but much more on consumption. And that bothers me. I found out that increasing click rates seem to result from pinterest, where I didn't post anything, but found my pictures (I'm no social media fan for different reasons). A lot of people enjoy my and your work. And expense. The 'reward' in terms of response gets less and less. To ask heretically: What about having the forum open to everyone, but to offer paid content with hi-res pics and step-by-steps? Or having those 'results' open to everyone, but make the discussions paid content. Not for the contributors. For the readers. Ask all the photographers and artists over the world. I'm quite sure that social media and 'sharing' maybe destroyed a lot of imagination of the worth of pictures and any other artistic workmanship.

Call me sermonizer :D.

Cheers,
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

finescalerr

One thing I like about this forum is that we are the "anti-social" media!

I really don't care whether a lot of lazy dilettantes visit this site and I don't care whether such people like or dislike my own comments. The number of "hits" we get also is unimportant.

On the other hand, if you or I inspire only one person, and if that person tries to become the best modeler he can, this forum would be a success.

Nobody has asked to join in almost a year. I would guess we have intimidated rather than inspired.

Anyone who finds great models intimidating is not worth our time.

Russ

Hauk

Quote from: finescalerr on October 14, 2014, 01:54:46 AM

Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Hydrostat

I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Barney

Great words our Russ - still the best forum with total inspiration
Barney

Mobilgas

Russ,   That's really SAD that no one has asked to join this Forum in almost a year???? and how did you know I was    ANTI-SOCIAL ???  have you been talking to my Head Doctor.
Craig

Chuck Doan

There is a lot of activity on Facebook, but little nourishment. Very much designed for short attention spans, and then on to the next thing.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

mad gerald

Not that I intend nitpicking, but shouldn't this ...

Quote from: finescalerr on October 14, 2014, 01:54:46 AM

Quote from: Mobilgas on October 14, 2014, 02:18:14 PM
how did you know I was    ANTI-SOCIAL ???  have you been talking to my Head Doctor.

... better be called anti "social-media" ...?!  ::) ;) (even though so-called "social media" IMHO is more or less anti-social)

Cheers

shropshire lad

Quote from: TRAINS1941 on October 10, 2014, 12:51:58 PM
Quote from: Juke Joint on October 10, 2014, 04:58:51 AM
I'd bet a dollar Marc and Nick are ankle deep in construction projects?

Philip   

There ankle deep but I don't think its projects!! :D

Jerry

Well, I've been up to me neck in 1:1 building projects this year , mainly our house . So modelling has not been very high on the agenda for the last 6 months . The mine project that I posted pictures of earlier in the year has hardly moved forward at all . However , I have had a couple of parcels from Australia and am awaiting a third due any day now which may well give me some impetus to get back to the bench . I will be off to Brussels on Friday to catch up with Jacq and the boys , so hopefully might have some pictures to post .

I have been thinking about posting some photos of my finished Remora Island ( yes , I say again , finished ! ) but hadn't got around to it yet . Maybe tomorrow .

Nick

finescalerr

Nick, old crumpet, you could always pop by from time to time and grace us with your verbal presence. No need to wait months. -- Russ

P.S.: I never said you can come out of the corner. How are you getting your work done?

LesTindall

Sorry to come a bit late into this discussion, but just to say that the forum has been/still is inspirational.  As Barney said the "shows" around here in the UK are becoming depressing - very little to "get to juices going", so the forum acts as a catalyst for ideas that keep us all going.   Modelling is sometimes a slow gentle process (after all it is our hobby, we do it when feeling like it) and often 1:1 things get in the way (work, family, kids, house moves etc) so keep 'em coming as and when - its all good stuff.

Les   

marc_reusser

Well...since my name has been bandied about, bent, spindled and tossed out into the street :D.....

Due to time constraints (work and mountain-biking) I have pretty much packed up my bench and projects. I had done so previously and then a while back was coaxed into pulled it all out again to build a project for publication...but that became such a train -wreck of setbacks, problems, frustration and exasperation, I binned it and basically quit modeling. I am burned out,...tired of creating, tired of photographing SBS's....the whole lot. Maybe/likely at some point I will get over myself and start again....but for now I need/prefer to spend my time playing in the dirt.

I don't check in here often, because it just frustrates me by pulling me back to the bench, which is not where I want to be...and would only result in one more started, and unfinished, project.

Despite my lack of participation, I would miss this forum if it disappeared, those rare times these days that I do look in, and despite the frustration it brings....it still feels like a comfortable hearth to come home to; it's comfort food and a good drink on a cold night. The work by those posting here is always great to see; it inspires, educates and intrigues.....and I hope people will continue creating and posting here.

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

finescalerr

Marc needs to speak with a fellow burnout victim. I'll phone him. -- Russ

Mobilgas

Marc,    Since your burned out on modeling....and sounds like the forum won't be around to much longer :( I'm willing to pay 10cents on the dollar for all your modeling STUFF  ;) out of sight out of mind!!!
Craig