• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

ace radium 1-32n 20

Started by 1-32, September 03, 2013, 01:20:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter_T1958

Hi Kim

I followed the pouring of your resin water with great interest. As I have never did such before, I don't know what awaits me, when I have to do the same at my current project. Therefore some questions:

Your approach crating the lagoon bottom looks quite easy. Isn't there a danger, that some particles, stones, vegetation will simply be swept away, when you poure the resin in?

Under point 6 you wrote:
Quote from: 1-32 on August 23, 2014, 11:35:20 PM
6- add some darker dyes to the scarey places in my case under the buildings where the locks are[at the back].
this should take 5 days to dry just before it goes off you can add texture.3575/DSCF2710640x480-vi.jpg[/img]

Texture? To the water surface? For my purposes, on the one hand I would need a calm water surface, but nevertheless the illusion of the surface of water in motion. I have read elsewhere that heat-treatening the resin surface with a soldering iron gives the illusion of gentle waves. Any experience?

Regards,
Peter
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

1-32

hi ray and peter.
i have had some real f### ups with resin and i think  now it is all about timing usually you have a time frame of 24 hours that you can work the resin,you have be totally precise with the mixing or it wont set.your base has to be level use a spirit level.heavy items wont be washed away resin is very thick lighter items suck as twigs should be glued down or once the resin is poured add them seperately resin is like quick sand.dont use a soldering iron the fumes could kill you.the trick with texture is to wait about 15 hours the resin should seem to be hard but still soft under this hard shell tilt the board on a slight angle and from one edge use a hair drier this will produce texture in the tilt angle.some use tooth picks to tease the surface into waves again timing .also u tube is a good source of inspiration.
there is a french military modeller who is a master with resin i cant remember his name.he mastered deep water that was poured in stages.each stage has suspended details like dead sailors being drawn down from into the deep by sinking sections of a tsar eria russan battleship- military modellers are so tragic.
regards kim

Peter_T1958

Thanks for your answers. And I understand: resin water does not make things easier ....
BTW. The french military modeller you mentioned is Jean-Bernard AndrĂ©. He is a French diorama modeller! So don't discredit the military modelers - as I am someone who comes from the same branch ;) ;)  But of course I absolutely agree with you; although most of his dioramas look  fantastic, they  are  tragic indeed.
Here one of his articles:
http://www.jbadiorama.com/jaws_-article.php

His approach is a completly different one: He builds up a clay master of the desired waves and poures the resin water into  a rubber negative form (Mmh, difficult to describe, but you should read his articles...).

1-32

hi peter.
please with military modellers i love their teckniques and approaches to modelling some of these have been a huge influence on the hobby.
we australians have a unique sense of humor it goes back to our convict past i think it is called irony, so please dont take my comments so -friends hey.
with andre there was a stage a few years past where he was doing deep water in layers and putting clear dyes in each layer t looked fantastic.i will look around to see if i can find the example.
you should just muck around with resin and get familiar with the product just do it outside.
regards kim

finescalerr

A friend, Don McKenney, whose layout I featured in the 2003 Logging Annual used clear gloss acrylic:

"I have used casting resin to simulate water and find it decidedly 'unforgiving'. So I tried something different. I painted the bottom of the pond with acrylic artist's paints (blues, greens, and browns), then applied a thick layer of Liquitex medium viscosity acrylic gloss medium and varnish. It turned out beautifully. It cleans up with water and produces no toxic vapors or smelly fumes. While the gloss medium was still tacky, I blew on some wood and bark debris and green plant growth. It was easy and I am very satisfied with the results."

Maybe somebody here has tried something similar. It would be pretty interesting to see a comparison.

Russ

Peter_T1958

Hi Kim

Quote from: Peter_T1958 on September 25, 2014, 08:40:45 AM
So don't discredit the military modelers - as I am someone who comes from the same branch ;) ;)

Don't worry, this was also meant only as a joke! I have to realise once again, that expressing good humor in a foreign language is a difficult task... :-\

Cheers,
Peter

shropshire lad

Quote from: Peter_T1958 on September 25, 2014, 11:32:03 AM
Hi Kim

Quote from: Peter_T1958 on September 25, 2014, 08:40:45 AM
So don't discredit the military modelers - as I am someone who comes from the same branch ;) ;)

Don't worry, this was also meant only as a joke! I have to realise once again, that expressing good humor in a foreign language is a difficult task... :-\

Cheers,
Peter

For some of us it hard enough in our own language . Isn't that right , Russ ?

Nick

Chuck Doan

Nice water! Good to see it coming together Kim.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

finescalerr

Nick, go stand in the corner.

Is it only the first time this year I've been able to write that?

Russ

1-32

good morning all
this time it is about the tale of 3 tanks.
ace radium will need at least 2 tanks -1 for water the other for toxic waste.the location of 1 will be above the small whalf area.i am trying to decide what shape this tank will take.

this is a modern design plastic enclosed.maybe a water tank.

a really big tank it would be fun to model a big pool of toxic waste wih this 1.

and the last and perhaps my faverite.i made it a while ago but still like it.good contrast with the clean lines of the rest of the buildings.i can really have fun with old water and reeds slime, inside he open top.

onwards towards toxic shock regards kim

Chuck Doan

I like that corrugated tank.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

finescalerr

Yes, go with the corrugated tank. The water already looks pretty toxic, and I assume that's the "cleaner" stuff. -- Russ

Hydrostat

Kim,

the corrugated tank is it. The composition might benefit from a bigger, i.e. maybe thrice higher tank, being the highest point of the layout, but I'm afraid the substructure doesn't fit that size.

Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

1-32

yep you nailed it.
my thoughts exactly,i am going to trash the structure that the tank sits on and build a heigher thicker structure that raises the tank.the build at the back makes sense in one way that it provides a way for the track to go off stage but needs a roof of some sort that the tank support is attached to.my idear is to have a hip roof with a walk way across the hip to the tank.then there is the build on the right side it would be nice to make it all sort of blurrie blending into the back scene.
regards kim

Barney

Inspiration I just love it
Barney