• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1:35 feldbahn project

Started by jacq01, August 27, 2013, 02:16:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shropshire lad

Quote from: finescalerr on August 30, 2013, 11:25:33 AM
So, in a sense, this will be a series of three dimensional "paintings/sculptures" with animation, i.e., a train running through them? -- Russ

Yup , you've got , Uncle Russ . All we are waiting for is delivery of five Decauville locos from Australia and we're good to go . Oh , I suppose we had better build a module or two ! My main worry is knowing what Franck is planning on getting up to .

The beauty of this concept ( I'm sure that nothing new is being done here) is that the "layout" could be set up in a number of different permutations , giving a great deal of flexibility on how it looks . There is also no real limitation to how many modules are used . The main difference , I see , to other similar projects is that there will be no attempt to unify the modules by using the same scenic materials , instead they will be separate little worlds connected by black boxes . 

This project would probably never have got off the ground if it wasn't for Jacq's driving force behind it , he is the linchpin . If for no other reason that he can speak lots of languages and can communicate with everyone involved ( even the Welshman living in Switzerland ! ).

Like many people on this Forum , I'm not really into "playing trains" but something like this project is a bit more than that and should be a lot of fun ( not much point doing it if it wasn't ) . So , you are right , they will be "big dioramas with movement" .

Nick

danpickard

Its an excellent concept Jacq (and crew). 

One of the things that always annoyed the hell out of me with various modular groups was the drastic and scene killing breaks in scenery styles between modules.  Those changes were perhaps ok when viewing individual modules, but when you step back to observe the bigger picture (which the whole bunch of modules thing is meant to achieve as a large group effort), the view is very disjointed and wrong to look at.  This isolating of the scenes, as being done here, works very well to separate the stories, and also creates good flexibility depending on space available at the exhibitions and number of modules available.  I can see the framing of each of these scenes also being given a very professional finish that will present very well at shows. 

Keeping the concept could be a long term thing as well, especially for the modellers that might work a bit quicker...some guys might end up with several boxes, which could be swapped between various shows (which keeps the display changing and interesting), and also serve well for home layout needs.

Will watch this whole project with keen interest Jacq.

Cheers,
Dan

artizen

The Steamy Pudding layout that I am currently building is a series of linked dioramas contained in individual boxes. Each one separated by a divider that allows some flexibility but it was initially designed to be assembled only one way and is a complete circle that the viewer has to walk around. Difficult for some exhibition venues though but good fun to build. I might get to finish it in the next couple of years maybe - only been doing it for four years so far. I made the design decision right back at the beginning that if the layout had no permanent home that it needed to be stackable and in addition to the roof and sides on each module, I have also now added magnetic dust covers on the front (mainly to keep the skinks, cockroaches and spiders out). Australia is a very dusty country!
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

jacq01

By chosing this concept, each builder is free to lay his track in depth and height. This within certain limits to suit a min radius of 200-250 mm and a height difference of approx 5-10mm. The hidden tracks in the back are built up of standard H0 track and manual points. As Dan pointed out, we have the freedom of number of modules and line up of modules pending the number and mood of the participants. The advantage of the selected dimensions is that a module and 2 boxes fit in the back of a family station wagon. It is also possible to stack the modules when more are transported, from the same area, in a trailer or small van.

Jacq

put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

narrowgauger

Hi Guys,

one of the key features of the new Feldbahn project is that the operating system is based on the TrainworxOz on-board battery Radio Control system.  That means no track wiring for rail power, prototypical rough Feldbahn ttrackwork and no electrical connections between modules and ................................... most importantly low speed operational conditions without pick-up problems.

when it comes top operations the fun will really start since each locomotive will be totally independent and operated like the real thing, with prototype cornfield meets entirely possible.

all in all TrainworxOz on-board battery control the perfect solution, not only for the home layout but even more so in exhibition mode.

will wait in anticipation that this team in 5 countries and several continents will develop.  In fact there will even be an Australian module, with a Ferry (radio controlled naturally) connecting it to Europe.

Let the fun begin.

have fun & stay cool
BernardS

danpickard

Subtle Bernard, very subtle  ;D

I can see your RC pieces working just nicely around this little effort.
Was looking at some of Marcel's recent work images, and if they are for this project...wow, then just brilliant.

Cheers,
Dan

Erkut Baykal

Another masterpiece in the making...we are all eyes and ears down here holding our breaths ...and following with anticipation.

Abd & Erkut

PS: What on earth is ;TrainworxOz on-board battery control . Is it RC? Jacq, you know what happened to our RC in Dortmund. Is it safe?

marc_reusser

Well......enough idle chit-chat, back-slapping, promotion, and theory......let's see some building/WIP/SBS!  ;)  ;D  ;D
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

jacq01

Push, push, you don't give a guy the change to present some decent drawing.

Here the first sketch of the module landscaping with trackplan.
Initially the set up was tried in a 1200mm size module.
I was not happy as the sides cramped ( compressed) the farmhouse and landscape
too much.
The plan is now divided over 2 modules of 900-1000 mm and reflects the painting a lot better.

Jacq
I am what I remember.

nk

Jacq, This looks like an exciting project on many fronts. Can you tell me who did the painting of the mill in your initial post, and its location, if indeed it is of a reall mill town with that nice cupola in the background. Thanks so much.
You may ask yourself: "Well, how did I get here?"

http://public.fotki.com/nkhandekar/

mad gerald

Narayan,

Quote from: nk on September 10, 2013, 08:57:40 AM
... Can you tell me who did the painting of the mill in your initial post, and its location, if indeed it is of a reall mill town with that nice cupola in the background. Thanks so much.
... sorry for interfering, but following Jacq's threads (as well) I noticed that Jacq has mentioned the name of mill before ...
Quote from: jacq01 on November 14, 2012, 03:00:34 AM
... Shortly I will start with a similar topic like the logging project, covering the building of the "Erftmühle" painting in 1:35 ...  
... which seems to be located in Germany ... the painting itself is done by Andreas Achenbach IIRC ...

Cheers

finescalerr

jacq01

Narayan,

the painting is by Andreas Achenbach, a member of the Düsseldorfer Schule,  It measures 1,65 x 2,30m und is owned by the Kunsthalle in Düsseldorf. End 2011 the painting with many other of representatives of this group were exhibited. I had an invitation for the opening but was not able to go as my wife became ill.
He made so many sketches of nearly all his watermill paintings in Grevenbroich, that the people called it "Achenbach's Mühle"
The Erftmühle is a non existing place created in the studio, but shows a good representation of the area around Düsseldorf.
The copula in the background is from a castle not far from Grevenbroich.
I live some 60 km from the place.

Jacq
I am what I remember.

nk

Jacq and Gerald, Thank you very much for the background info on the artist and location. I work with paintings all day, so having a bit of background about the picture that formed the inspiration of the project is a good thing thing to know. And besides I have learned about Andreas Achenbach of the Düsseldorfer Schule whom I would never have known about otherwise. Thanks again.
You may ask yourself: "Well, how did I get here?"

http://public.fotki.com/nkhandekar/

finescalerr

"...The people called it 'Achenbach's Mühle'"

Let me see if I got this right: In America that would be "Achin' Back's mule", right? Well, that makes perfect sense. Why carry it all yourself if you can get a mule to help? Ol' Achin' Back was no fool.

ssuR