• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The Groundwork and Vegetation Thread

Started by marc_reusser, April 29, 2013, 04:03:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malachi Constant

I'll have to play around with this a bit, but it's very encouraging and really freakin' easy to get the grass to actually stand up with this thing!  (They say that you can use it to apply chopped up WS field grass, etc ... and that seems quite likely to work at this point.)

I'll be fiddling around a bit more with this soon ... doing another On30 diorama ... not really "fine scale" ... but hoping to make it look somewhere between "not bad" and "almost acceptable."  ;)

Anyway, "somebody" noticed that I had posted this stuff elsewhere and not here ... and I really thought my newbie results wouldn't fly here ... but it looks like the tool itself would be darned handy ... so I'll rack up some experience on the On30 dio ... then see what it can do in 1/35 when I get a chance.

Hope the info will be useful for anyone looking for something better than a bug zapper and cheaper than a Noch Grasmaster!  :)

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

shropshire lad

Thank you , Dallas . Is there a website for your new grass applicator ? My bug zapper has worked fine up until now , but I haven't compared it to a commercial model so I don't know how well it actually works . Maybe I'll invest in one before too long .

Nick

danpickard

Hi Nick,
Not an official website as yet for the Aussie Scenics gear, but there is a Facebook page with some good product shots - https://www.facebook.com/AussieScenics
or the sales side of it is run through his eBay store - http://stores.ebay.com.au/Aussie-Scenics

Cheers,
Dan

(and no, I am not affiliated with this company or their product in any way, despite having the same accent)

Malachi Constant

What Dan said!  ;D  The bug zapper conversions probably vary in quality and effectiveness ... mine took a lot of waiving the thing around right over the grass repeatedly to get it to stand.  This one is a breeze.  The dominant "grass" colors in my sample are a mix of the Aussie Scenics spring green, medium green and a bit of winter green for contrast ... also some of the shorter WS light & medium green in there.  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

finescalerr

How durable is the grass? Do the fibers fall onto their side if you touch them? Are they securely glued to the base or will they drop off if you turn it upside down? (Static electricity temporarily holding them in place doesn't count.) It's hard to believe that something with such an accurate, delicate appearance could withstand transportation and handling. -- Russ

Mobilgas

Dallas,   Thanks for posting the info on your new static grass applicator  ;) checked out there stuff on E-bay.  Looks like they have some nice grass colors and there grass applicator is not that expensive if it works as good as you say it does  ;D
Craig

shropshire lad

Quote from: finescalerr on May 06, 2013, 01:54:16 AM
Okay, it's time to get really serious here: I do admit owning a pink engineer's cap, a present from the lunatics at MoLoCo. I admit having knees, albeit no more knobby than anyone else's. As for the hair, well, if one lacks some on one's head one must compensate. My grass skirt is a prized possession, clandestinely removed from a beautiful, sleeping girl without a thong bikini I took advantage of in a tropical paradise; I only wear it to Scottish bagpipe events.

None of this has anything to do with the groundwork and vegetation thread except maybe the grass skirt. I beg your forgiveness for straying off topic. But Nick started it and I'm gonna tell his mommy.

Russ (Your Leader)

P.S.: Leader? Indeed. Pretentious? Moi?

No I never . You started it with your damn fool questions . And I'll have a word with your daddy .

Nick