• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

New product in development from Diorama Direct

Started by shropshire lad, April 27, 2013, 05:03:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

Yep...seems the boy is thick as a brick....and sometimes a few short of a full palette.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

shropshire lad

Bloody hell , I only made one small typing error and they are jumping all over me . Gawd help me if I make a proper mistake .

Chuck Doan

Well, wherever they come from, those cement blocks look good.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Mr Potato Head

I ordered some molds from Diorama Debris; does anyone in the States know where I can get Iron Powder? They won't ship it into the states
Thanks
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

lab-dad

I could send you several pounds of swarf from my brake lathe.
Wonder if that would work???
Its all cast iron......
Mj

Mr Potato Head

I guess I could get my file out? What about the liquid stuff you paint on as a base coat for painted on rust you think that would work, if i added it to th plaster? Or what about fine steel wool?
thanks
Gil
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

Marc988

Are these new moulds available already ?
I can't seem to find them om their site.  ::)

Thanks
Marc

Gordon Ferguson

Gordon

mabloodhound

Quote from: Mr Potato Head on May 04, 2013, 09:00:43 AM
I ordered some molds from Diorama Debris; does anyone in the States know where I can get Iron Powder? They won't ship it into the states
Thanks
MPH

Everything but Iron here:
http://www.smooth-on.com/Urethane-Plastic-a/c5_1119_1211/index.html

and doesn't look good here either:
http://www.alumilite.com/ProdDetail.cfm?Category=Support%20Products&Name=Alumilite%20Metallic%20Powder
Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

shropshire lad

Quote from: Marc988 on May 04, 2013, 12:41:03 PM
Are these new moulds available already ?
I can't seem to find them om their site.  ::)

Thanks
Marc

No , they are not available yet . As I said , they are still in the development stage at the moment . They will appear on the front page of their website when they are ready to buy . Normally they send me a sample or two to try out . I have not received one yet .

I will keep you posted .

Nick

shropshire lad

Two test moulds for concrete blocks arrived in the post today , so I shall be experimenting with them later this evening .

DO NOT expect them on the market in the short term as they aren't happy with them yet and need to keep trialling them .

1/16th scale concrete paving slabs , anyone ? Complete with anti-slip dimples . See photos .

Nick

finescalerr

Thanks for the update, Nick. As I look at their product line (and I must admit it's pretty cool) I wonder how the heck they can make any money! -- Russ

mad gerald

Quote from: shropshire lad on June 18, 2013, 09:59:59 AM
1/16th scale concrete paving slabs , anyone ? Complete with anti-slip dimples . See photos .
... REALLY nice ... and matching scale too ... increasing interest over here ...  8)

Is there any development of 1/16th scale brick moulds already going on or intended in future ... ?

EDIT: Just had a look at their website ... slab mould and brick mould seem already available ..?
http://www.dioramadebris.co.uk/116-scale-moulds-2-c.asp

Cheers

jim s-w

Quote from: shropshire lad on April 27, 2013, 05:03:09 PM
I have been sent by Louise at Diorama Direct a photo of a section of concrete block wall made from a new mould being developed by them and she is asking for any comments . Good or bad .

At the moment the main issue is trying to make the blocks "idiot proof " so that they can be laid with all the mortar joints being the same . The obvious solution would be to have spacers incorporated , similar to their 1/35th scale Flemmish brick strips , but this might prove to be tricky owing to the thinness of the block walls . She asked if they should do away with the holes in the blocks and have them all being solid , to which I replied " no way , Jose "  that is the main appeal , to me , of the blocks in the first place . My best suggestion is to have the majority of the blocks being cast solid with spacer lugs and a proportion being cast hollow without the spacers . This would mean that anyone who wants to show the top of the wall can just lay one course of hollow blocks on top of the rest which are solid .

The blocks were cast with a very dry plaster mixture . To rather good effect . Well , I think so .

Does anyone have a better suggestion , or other comments ? The blocks will be 1/35th scale .

Nick

If you think about it they actually look like an upside down Lego brick.  Could they not have lugs on the underside to lock them together?

Just a thought.

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright