• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Some old and new stuff from a new member.

Started by Alexandre, December 09, 2012, 07:00:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

Alex, you are a most satisfactory artist/modeler and rather clever, but please spend more quality time with your therapist. Unresolved issues and all that .... -- Russ

Alexandre

Quote from: finescalerr on September 29, 2013, 08:44:28 PM
please spend more quality time with your therapist. Unresolved issues and all that .... -- Russ

Modelling was my therapy, but will follow the advice. :)

Last one, I promise.
Small enamel plate. (28mmx20mm).
I've designed the whole, freelance design of course, (in Adobe Illustrator / vector format), but inspired by various small enamel tobacco pocket boxes from early XXth.
Thought I could make after these cheap cardboard boxes some enamel ad for a drugstore.

I'm reaching my camera limits, need a macro lens. The sign has a nice semi gloss metal finish, but can't photograph this or the lettering could not be read.

Now that I had my fun doing this, I might realize some real world industries and brands one.

Ray Dunakin

That sign turned out great! Looks very authentic.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Good likeness of Marc and Chuck, too. -- Russ

Junior

Looks great as usual Alexandre!

Did you use glossy photo paper for printing? I have used that and found out the hard way that it has to be sealed before weathering.

Chuck Doan

Great looking sign! What kind of printer do you use?

The rich unequalled aroma comes from the spitoon.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

finescalerr

Okay, Chuck, go stand in the corner. -- Russ

Alexandre

So I 'm a liar and of course there's plenty of others, because when starting this I had a diorama idea in mind :

Featuring :
Adam Wilder
Lincoln Wright
Mike Rinaldi
Roman Volchenkov
Alex Glass aka Uschi van der Rosten
Rick Lawler
Gordon Ferguson
Marc Reusser
Chuck Doan
Jean-Bernard André aka JBA
Mig Jimenez aka MIG
Russ Reinberg.

This is volume 1 of course, and if everything goes well there may be a vol.2 as well as a real large scale diorama.

Some answers :
Everything on this picture is printed on white paper. And printed without photoshopped damages or texture. All the effects and weathering are painted.
I only use white, heavy, mat double coated, smooth paper. No photo glossy paper or anything. Only this one and this brand (french one) because it's an amazing paper :
it's ultra strong and gives an almost better definition as photo paper. But it's mat, it's smooth, and it's better for us modelers with our aggressive thinner and paints.
I know I can be really anal with this, but as I explained the other day to Marc and Gordon, I'm a print process and print technologies nerd.
Also, and this can't help, I'm teaching printing process to graphic design students.

Being a graphic designer really help for this kind of work and I've been able to do this pretty quickly. One of the very rare time I don't regret my job and my studies.  :D
Every font, every page layout is accurate time-wise (early XXth century).

If there's interest, I'm considering doing large scale set of real world (or custom ones if you like it better) stuff like this. Enamel signs, posters etc...
I love vintage graphic design and ads (and it's a main inspiration for my daily real life work) and would love to produce something.

Again, if there's interest, I could do it for forum members, printed, and the set would come with a detailed illustrated SBS (suggestions on how to weather this kind of stuff, although Chuck or Marc kind of guys would laugh reading it).

So let's discuss this if you're interested.

Also, there's plenty of funny stuff we can't see on the picture, so if you like I can post bigger individual pictures.

shropshire lad

So it would seem that you ain't no-one if you don't have a sign by Alexandre . I love the irony with the Ferguson soap , seeing as he is a Jock , and they don't wash , and he doesn't work ! And why is Reinberg included ? He doesn't even model .

Nick , sulking in the corner !

shropshire lad

Actually , I'm not sulking as I just remembered that I was immortalised more than forty years ago .

marc_reusser

The real joke on Gordon's is that it is the "Painters Product"...and we all know about his aversions to painting.  ;D

QuoteThe rich unequalled aroma comes from the spitoon.

I thought it was from my B.S. :)
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Ray Dunakin

Great stuff, and what a terrific selection of fonts!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Alexandre

Quote from: shropshire lad on September 30, 2013, 03:53:48 PM
I love the irony with the Ferguson soap , seeing as he is a Jock , and they don't wash , and he doesn't work ! And why is Reinberg included ? He doesn't even model .

ha! ;D ;D Classic.

No sulking needed, it's only Vol.1, and the planned flea market scene will require so much stuff like that to be convincing.

Quote from: Chuck Doan on September 30, 2013, 08:36:37 PM
Wish MY great grandfather thought these up:

Great! Why didn't I find this before!

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on October 01, 2013, 12:28:37 AM
Great stuff, and what a terrific selection of fonts!

Thanks Ray.  :)

Krusty

QuoteAgain, if there's interest, I could do it for forum members, printed, and the set would come with a detailed illustrated SBS (suggestions on how to weather this kind of stuff, although Chuck or Marc kind of guys would laugh reading it).

T'would have to be strictly a labour of love. I redrew these enamel (porcelain if you're American) signs for a very small run for an English manufacturer back in 1997. He still had a healthy quantity in stock when he sold the business a couple of years ago.
Kevin Crosado

"Caroline Wheeler's birthday present was made from the skins of dead Jim Morrisons
That's why it smelt so bad"