• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Highest resolution 3D printing?

Started by SandiaPaul, July 21, 2012, 07:03:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

At the moment I can't imagine why I would need a 3D printer even if costs only $2,100; it would take a lot of business with a service bureau to reach that figure. But if resolution goes higher as prices go lower, in a few years we might all own a 3D printer.

The more important question is resolution. Is 0.002" pretty much the finest available? Even that would seem slightly coarse for 1:32 scale and below. It reminds me of the early (top quality) 300 dpi laser printers. The text looked very good unless you used even a slight amount of magnification. 600 dpi was much better and 1200 dpi pretty much nailed it.

How many more generations until we have 3D resolution analogous to 1200 dpi?

Russ

Lawton Maner

In the pictures posted by Hauk, the lines left by the printer could be representative of wood grain on the bin sides, but would be out of place where a metal part is represented.

With machine costs coming down and resolution going up, its just a matter of time before many of us will be able to afford to make our own parts.  When that happens how long will it be before there is a market for the programs for the parts are offered for sale? 

Hauk

Quote from: Lawton Maner on March 12, 2013, 06:27:30 PM
With machine costs coming down and resolution going up, its just a matter of time before many of us will be able to afford to make our own parts. 

I am really looking forward to to the first customer reviews of the FormLabs 3D printer. FormLabs samples look very promesing. Their printer has a slightly better resolution than Shapeways FUD parts. With a price tag around $3500 it is within reach for small businesses and ambitious modellers.
The Form1 is expected to ship around May, and I guess the user reviews will start to flood the net right away!
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

finescalerr

I hope they will include macro photos. If a particularly useful review should appear in a language other than English, could you please offer a very brief report for the verbally impaired? -- Russ

Bexley

When the CEO of my company saw what we spent last year on 3D printing, he okayed my department purchasing our own printer. The one we're looking at does 16 micron layers, but I'm guessing the boss will balk at he 120k price tag. Our proposal includes the option of defraying costs by renting out printer time- I'll keep you all posted on that, especially if we can make it affordable to non-production types, like us modelers.
CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

Bexley

We switched to a new printing company, and just got back our first pieces. I only wish I could post the images. Side by side with actual injection molded production samples, the only giveaway as to which are which is the color. Our minimum feature size for X-Wing ships is .2mm, and these prints are as crisp as the 3D models on my screen. (That minimum is NOT the minimum for the printer, it's the minimum size for production. I'm sure the printer could go much finer.) You can't even see the printing lines. With any luck, it'll be the machine we get to print in house. I don't recall the model number, other than it's an Invision printer tat runs around $120k.

[Edit: The printer resolution is 50 microns.]
CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

Bexley

CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

Bexley

The Details:

The company is Lightbeanm 3D.

We had one set done on the Invisiontech Mini Multi Lens, using Nanocure RC 25 resin, at 50 microns. (Not 15.) The resin is sort of an orangey flesh color, and has a "feel" similar to styrene.

The second set was printed on an Aureus, using Photosilver resin, at 25 microns. (It is a grey resin similar to the grey a lot of model kits are made in, and also feels like it's styrene.)

We can only see the difference between the two resolutions by photographing them with a macro lens and blowing them up to about 50 times larger. The printing lines are mostly invisible to the naked eye. They show up a little on some of the flatter areas, but most of the aren't visible until blown up about 20 times.
CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

finescalerr

Thank you for the input. Very interesting. -- Russ

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

marc_reusser

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

lab-dad

Hey guys if we all chip in it's only forty grand a piece!

Mj

Bexley

Actually, the 60k did just as well, so it's only half the price! Blown up large enough, the 120k ones do show printing lines, but the 60k machine prints didn't, as we had those printed at a higher resolution. We wanted to see the difference between a higher quality machine with lower quality prints vs. a lower quality machine printing at a higher resolution. Based on these tests, we're no longer looking at the 120k machine, as we can get near-perfect prints on the 60k one.
CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

Bexley

Also, they have a deal for first time customers, 50% off your first print. Additionally, they have a more reasonable (but still a bit spendy) pricing for "Wait to Print"- essentially, you send them the files, and when they get enough Wait to Print submissions, they print them all at once. You might have to wait a few weeks, but the price is better. And they don't gang print like Shapeways, where they orient things all over the place. The system they use prints off of a moving plate, so all items must contact the plate at some point, which means all items will have the same orientation.
CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

Hauk

Fomlabs have now shipped the first batch of  Form1 printers.
http://formlabs.com/pages/our-printer

While it wil be some time until they have shipped all preordered machines, this is great news.
As mentioned before, the Form1 has a minimum layer thickness of 0,001". This is comparable to the best prints from Shapeways and good old Print-A-Part.

I will post links as soon as I can find any first- hand reviews online.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past