• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Blackening / darkening aluminum??

Started by lab-dad, May 28, 2012, 03:07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lab-dad

I need to slightly darken the aluminum pulleys on my drill press.
Everything I have has failed me.
The chemicals i have do darken bur also pit.
I dont want them black but the polished finish is too bright.
Oils?
Goache?

Marty

Mr Potato Head

Go to your local industrial metal supply place they'll have the blackener you need, it's cheap too, a concentrated quart will last you a lifetime!
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

Andi Little

Didn't want to say anything for fear of getting it wrong! - But, have you tried "Oven cleaner"? Every time I've got any near ally' it has darkened it considerably, almost a deep gunmetal.

Just thinking.
KBO..................... Andi.

Design-HSB

Hi Marty,

i think ALUMINUM-BLACKthe best way for your part.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

chester

Marty, had some luck by using Muriatic acid and Hydrogen Peroxide 50/50. Not quite as potent on aluminum as most chemical etchants and can be weakened by using more peroxide.

marc_reusser

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

finescalerr

Okay, Marc. Your turn. Go stand in the corner. -- Russ

lab-dad

Marc,
Tried that - turned yellow..........

chester

A little off the subject but when I was young I would help my grandfather in his construction business. One Saturday I was given a can full of pee (donor unknown) and told to "paint" the galvanized gutters with it before the finish paint went on. I suspect the thought was it would etch the metal. I have no idea if this is so. I washed my hands thoroughly before lunch that day.

lab-dad

I have heard of the urine helping to promote the green on copper.

At this point i think I am going to leave the pulleys alone, they look pretty good "as-is".
May be just a hint of surface rust on the ones not used often, recently.......
It is coming along, pics soon.

-Marty

shropshire lad

Horse pee will blacken oak shavings , something to do with the ammonia in the pee . Though I suspect you will have to have some pretty potent pee to blacken aluminium .

Do you want me to send you a pint or two of horse pee to have a bit of an experiment ? ! ? Or is your own toxic enough ?

Nick

chester

It would be the ammonia if it were white oak. I built some wh. oak furniture that we tented and put ammonia gas into the tent to get a black color. Lye does a number on cherry too.

eTraxx

A while back I got a sample of InstaBlak A384. You can see from the pic this enough of a 'sample' to last me quite a while .. probably forever. The company shows a InstaBlak A385 also - http://www.epi.com/c/black-oxide/aluminum .. there is a button below each where you can request a sample. Might be worth the time.

Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

lab-dad

Thanks Ed,
Dont use the regular (insta black) stuff on aluminum - pitted the hell out of the piece I did.
-Marty

Malachi Constant

For an alternative to the chemical treatments ... some acrylic glaze medium (Vallejo or craft store stuff) and a touch of deep gray acrylic paint.  Mixing the paint with glaze medium makes a transparent paint layer -- TINY touch of paint on the first round to check the effect ... let dry for several hours (takes a lot longer with glaze medium) ... go back with a slightly denser coat if needed.  And, for even more transparent coat ... touch of Vallejo black ink in glaze medium ... there won't be any opacity to the color, just a tinting effect like looking at it thru sunglasses.  8) -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com