• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

WSF Bridge Shoes

Started by eTraxx, November 30, 2012, 05:25:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eTraxx

A good while back I had some bridge shoes printed in FUD (Frosted Ultra Detail) at Shapeways. This is the 'normal' material others have used in prints.

I just got in some that I re-worked to print in WSF (White Strong & Flexible).  FUD is the highest resolution .. and the coarser surface of the WSF print is obvious. The difference is that while FUD has about the strength of clear Styrene (not much) .. WSF is a Nylon material. One of these little bridge shoes could probably hold my entire weight.

In the pic below

• the one on the far left is how it came from Shapeways. There is a lot of the powdered support material that needs cleaning out of it . .you can see some of that on the surface just to the right.
  • the center shoe has been cleaned. I just poked a wire through the mounting hole .. If I were going to use this in a model I would use a drill .. and flatten the pad with a swipe of a file.
  • the right side .. that is just the shoe dipped in some AI.

The WSF is porous .. and can be dyed with RIT dye in  a 50/50 mix of hot water and vinegar. I personally think it looks like .. cast iron as is via the AI dip. Some dry-brushing would kick it up a notch .. and a coat of primer would smooth it just a bit if needed. I really don't think that would be necessary .. again .. as I think the texture would work well on a layout

Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

SandiaPaul

Paul

David Emery

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World