• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

19th Century Cornish Stable

Started by granitechops, March 14, 2012, 02:45:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

granitechops

First coat of surface mix before application of texture finish
Don in sunny Devon, England

granitechops

Texture applied to surface & some wash applied,

granitechops

Before I could fit the workbench along the stable wall, I needed to get the floor levels sorted & found some old 1970s ceiling tiles that had a moulded beveled edge to make up the levels

granitechops

Nice snug fit for drain channel

granitechops

Cut cereal card into 2" x 3" slabs after painting card gray, & glued in place

granitechops

Made up a drain cover as per type that a blacksmith would do, drilling holes in wrought iron plate,

and fitted in place at end of gully

granitechops

One thing I had of that time long ago, & far away, was fond memories of a go-cart I built from pram wheels, some planks & a couple of boxes,
used to race down the hills, & use it about the garden to shift stuff about
Funny, at the time I was dissapointed that I could not get hold of the larger better quality pram wheels, so had to settle for pushchair wheels that were only about 7" diam.
On reflection small wheels on the front were an advantage as they gave a greater turning circle before catching on your feet which were on the front plank doing the steering

Ray Dunakin

The floor turned out nicely, and the go-cart is a great bit of extra detail!

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Malachi Constant

Neat stuff!  I like the way the drain breaks the "bottom" level of the floor and adds some extra dimension there.  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Andi Little

Great progress - and I am quietly following along.

However .............. the "trolly" is a eureka moment - one of those; "Why didn't I think of that"?

I hesitate to say it but in the interests of honesty - yep! I'm going to thieve that wholesale - Well done.
KBO..................... Andi.

granitechops

Thanks Guys,
History repeats itself, Just as when I built the real size one, wheels were hard to get hold of , had to walk around the town till I spotted an unused pushchair in someones garden, & go & ask if I could have it,
6-7 decades later, times are hard, now I could not find small wheels ( without buying that is) back wheels are off a dolls house tricycle effort, but did not look right on front, & would foul feet when steering, so for the front I cannabalised an old 1970s Matchbox Kingsize digger, Aveling Barford I believe. ( dont tell Gordon  :D )
So the story goes that the front wheels in the model world came off an old Triang or mettoy childs Ride on tractor
Doesnt look right to me cause of my memories
But Hey, if I could enjoy it back then, whatever, so I can now

PS, you did notice its the deluxe version with upturned tomato tray for a seat, may even end up with an old discarded cushion on top!

granitechops

Thanks Andi, It wasnt in the original idea, but after a few weeks churning my memory over for details, I remembered it Had great fun on it used it to go down a 1 in 4, that is until the local policeman saw me take it out the back gate & demanded where I was going to run it,
"well down the hill "
""Dont you dare, or I will tell your parents""

Actually its scary thinking back, but there was so little traffic on those roads back then, & the bus only ran every 90 mins, so you could avoid that easily
and it was so much FUN.

Trouble with memory, after building an internal ( later addition  of brick ) chimney with copper boiler at base, I remember later the original cottage had an external stone chimney & found an old family photo to prove it.  DOH.
photo 1-  brick base for copper boiler, with access door for sweeping chimney
photo 2-   chimney in brick
photo 3-   Chimney top ( from street view I see that is still there
All still in need of final weathering

granitechops

Removed the unprototypical back bars from the hay rack, found A Guiness poster that I thought apropriate for a stable setting!

granitechops

Looks like autumn leaves have blown in
floor given another wash of brownish colour

set of fittings fashioned out of some brass strip
Anyone any ideas of their use/application

finescalerr

Gradually shaping up, isn't it? -- Russ