• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

New to me.....not your grandfather's GI Joe

Started by drevelia, October 23, 2011, 07:24:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drevelia

As some on this forum may already know, We have started a project here near Tampa Florida. It's The Suncoast Center for Fine Scale modeling and it's not just for model railroads. Our plan is to display all types of great modeling. That being said I came across a scale in modeling and modelers work that I found to be stunning. The modeler's name is Luca Vettius and he live in Italy. His scale 1/6 and here are a couple of shots of his work.
I am pleased to say that we will be bring some of his work here to display at the Center.

eTraxx

Oh my! That is such great work. That prompted me to do a little search

VETTIUS 64 Gallery
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Don Railton

Beautiful work.  A great addition to your collection in FL.

Don

finescalerr

Dave, I really applaud your project. It would be great if, someday, people around the world recognized fine models as a fine art. Of course, we want none of the "art world B.S." associated with what excellent modelers produce (or the attitude with which they produce it) but the category what we strive to create should shift from "craft" to "art". -- Russ

danpickard

Thanks for sharing those Dave.  One thing I've always appreciated from many of these small military style vingnettes, is how much of an interesting little story they can tell in such a refined space.  I know they are 1/6 scale, but the proportional size of the actual image being portrayed is still tiny.  Congratulations on being able to bring some of these to you collection.

Cheers,
Dan

DaKra

I've seen these before, they are even more impressive if you have examined the figures before modifications, as they are sold, with massively out of proportion barrel chests, thick necks, and ill fitting clothing that bury the figures necks, so that the collars are practically up to the figure's ears.   (Seems the manufacturers play to the majority of consumers who are dopey and prefer unrealistically muscular over accurately skinny... which goes back to our best in show diorama conversation...)   The articulation doesn't permit fluid realistic poses as these models show.   There is a lot of kitbashing and tailoring involved in this work.    

Another thing I really like about Luca's work is his figures often appear to be doing something, or are off balance, frozen in action.   Looking at your typical resin WW2 figure in 1/35 scale and up, you would get the impression that WW2 was fought on completely flat terrain by guys standing around at ease, trying to look nonchalant.  

There are a few more figure artists working in 1/6.  Paolo Ventura is another Italian,  probably better known.  His figures are more about setting a mood, which he does effectively. They are mostly rather creepy.  Interesting work.  

Carlo

Wow!
Now that's realistic figure sculpture (and painting).
It's right up there with the best modelers on this list.

Can anyone supply links to more of this 1:6 (or even 1:12) scale work, especially Paolo Venturi?
I Googled him, but he doesn't seem to have a web site.
I would like to find (and worship) the people who are sculpting these heads,
scratchbuilding articulated figures, and altering commercial figures at this level.
And then there's the dioramas that go with them...

Your assistance will be appreciated,
Carlo

marc_reusser

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

TRAINS1941

Dave

Can't believe I missed this thread.  Excellent modeling.  An a great addition to the project.
I think it's just great what your trying to do not just for RR modeling.  But for all the fine modeling that is done not just here but the world over.

Diane and I can't wait to get down there to see you.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

BKruger