• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

2011 National Narrow Gauge Convention

Started by nemmrrc, September 08, 2011, 03:30:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRAINS1941

Thanks for the pictures, Jamie.

Really does some beautiful work.  And like Chuck said you can hang them on the wall when your done.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

nemmrrc

The shadow boxes are about 2.5 ft deep. The center one is deeper as it has a loop of track with a running train. I'll try to take a photo from the side.

Jaime

nemmrrc

Here are some more photos of Geoff Nott's shadow boxes on display at the 2011 NNGC:

Narrow Gauge Gazette columnist Lance Stewart was seen studying Geoff's work.

Perhaps this helps give some perspective of the size of the boxes.

Jaime

nemmrrc

On display as well at the 2011 NNGC is the Muskrat Ramble modular layout.

Jaime

nemmrrc

This is Knapsack Gully, one of Geoff's shadow boxes.

Jaime

Frederic Testard

Jaime, are you sure of your 2.5ft deep figure? It seems huge, especially when one looks at the sides. I would have said a little more than 1'.
Frederic Testard

nemmrrc

Quote from: Frederic Testard on September 10, 2011, 02:45:24 AM
Jaime, are you sure of your 2.5ft deep figure? It seems huge, especially when one looks at the sides. I would have said a little more than 1'.
Frederic,

You are correct. The smaller boxes seem to be about 1 foot and the larger box 2 feet deep.

Jaime

danpickard

Jaime...you must have really tiny feet ;D

Geoff's boxes average about 18" deep (smaller ones as shallow as 12", bigger ones up to about 20").  The larger one in the middle is only deeper to accomodate the loop of track running around the rear of it.

Here's a couple of older shots of some of Geoff's boxes from the 2009 Australian NGC...

And this is another one from his basement at home...

Cheers,
Dan

nemmrrc

Another good modular layout on display at the 2011 NNGC is the Bear Creek Tramroad in On30.

Jaime

nemmrrc

During the Awards Ceremony the following model was awarded Best Structure:

Roland Pickard

During the Awards Ceremony the following model was awarded Best Diorama:

Don Railton

During the Awards Ceremony the following model was awarded Best of Show:

Don Watson

Jaime

Ray Dunakin

All are great looking models, but Don Watson's especially stunning.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

1-32

having seen geoff notts modelling over a number of years i know the number of very talented modellers who have put in a lot of time to achive the finisheed result.a lot of the time they are forgotten
cheers kim

Don Railton

Jamie – Nice job with the photos, considering the fact that the lighting in the contest room was atrocious.

Don

nemmrrc

Quote from: Don Railton on September 12, 2011, 04:54:01 AM
Jamie – Nice job with the photos, considering the fact that the lighting in the contest room was atrocious.

Don

Thanks Don. Congratulations on your award.

Jaime

nemmrrc

The Sundance Central also made an appearance in Hickory, NC for the 2011 NNGC. They've added a logging camp to their layout.

Jaime