• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/35 Scale & Larger; Diorama and Detail Parts & Accessories

Started by Malachi Constant, July 16, 2011, 04:22:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

marc_reusser

Thanks Nick,

I just stopped by and dropped a good number of pounds/dollars/scheckles......look forward to giving them a go. I told them you had recommended them (and that whatever happens you would be at fault  ;) ;D)

I was feeling bold, so under ther suggestion section, I suggested graduated size slate tiles. Most slate roofs I have worked on all have larger tiles at the bottom, moving/graduating to smaller ones toward the top.  (old them if I was off base, to take it up with you as you pointed me to the site  ;) ;D )

M
(now need to get back to work to pay for this  ::) )
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Gordon Ferguson

Thanks for the info Nick,

Only one complaint, keep typing in your name in the "discount code" box but doesn't seem to make any difference  ;D
Gordon

marc_reusser

Quote from: gfadvance on September 19, 2012, 12:35:48 AM

Only one complaint, keep typing in your name in the "discount code" box but doesn't seem to make any difference  ;D

I tried that, and the price seemed to double!  :o

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

shropshire lad

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on September 18, 2012, 05:47:30 PM
Sweet! Do they have any in 1/24th?

Ray ,

Not at the moment . However , I had been thinking that I might suggest doing some moulds in that scale . It is already possible to buy bricks in that scale but I'm not sure about slates and tiles . I will mention it to them .

Do you have any specific requests ?

Nick

mad gerald

Quote from: shropshire lad on September 18, 2012, 04:04:48 PM
... However , for me the most exiting new mould is one to make rows of Flemmish bond brickwork . This , quite literally , speeds up construction by tenfold . This I have proved with my present project . It took me 7 sessions to lay 900 individual bricks in my old way using HO stripwood as mortar joint spacers . With the new moulds I was able to lay over 1700 bricks in my first session . I have so far laid over 5000 bricks in the same time as the original 900 . The joke is , they look like strips of Lego bricks because they are moulded with spacer blocks to speed up construction .
... these Flemish brick strips are really great ... wonder, if they'd convert it to 1/16 scale too ... even single bricks with that "LEGO appearence" would be great and useful, especially in larger scales ... mumbles: "... got to make a mould request ..."

shropshire lad

Quote from: marc_reusser on September 18, 2012, 11:28:11 PM
Thanks Nick,

I just stopped by and dropped a good number of pounds/dollars/scheckles......look forward to giving them a go. I told them you had recommended them (and that whatever happens you would be at fault  ;) ;D)

I was feeling bold, so under ther suggestion section, I suggested graduated size slate tiles. Most slate roofs I have worked on all have larger tiles at the bottom, moving/graduating to smaller ones toward the top.  (old them if I was off base, to take it up with you as you pointed me to the site  ;) ;D )

M
(now need to get back to work to pay for this  ::) )

Marc ,

I have already suggested this to them . I have suggested that if they made 24" x12" slates moulds in both 1/48th and 1/43.5 scales then they will be useable for people who model in 1/35th scale , or larger .
   In the heyday of slate production there were about 20 different sizes of slate available as standard , each with its own name . A 24" x 12" slate was known as a " Duchess" . A 24" x 12" in 1/43rd becomes a 20" x 10" in 1/35th , or a " Countess" , and a 24" x 12" in 1/48th becomes an 18" x 9" in 1/35th , or a " Viscountess" .

When you get down to " scullerymaid" they are really very small indeed !

Making a roof with  graduated slates should be a very interesting exercise and if they do make moulds for those different sized slates then that is what I shall do .

Nick  

shropshire lad

Quote from: marc_reusser on September 19, 2012, 12:38:16 AM
Quote from: gfadvance on September 19, 2012, 12:35:48 AM

I tried that, and the price seemed to double!  :o

M

Well , I gotta have my cut !

Gordon Ferguson

Quote from: shropshire lad on September 19, 2012, 01:29:15 AM
Well , I gotta have my cut !

Typical Southerner !

Slate names & Sizes, for those interested ..............

Marc/Nick been trying to find out if there was any rule of thumb when doing graduated slate sizes on a roof, appreciate it would need to be a flexible rule due to size/pitch of roof,  etc,  ................. any thoughts?

EDIT

I did find this description but it was off a New England web site so not certain it applies back here

"Graduated Length and Thickness
Graduated slate roofs are very traditional and attractive. In a Graduated Length slate roof, the length of the slates decreases from the drip edge to the ridge. A full graduation would start with a 24" tall slate at the drip edge that exposes 10.5" and include 22", 20", 18", 16" and 14" slates, finishing with a 12" tall slate at the ridge, exposing 4.5". Typically Graduated roofs are random width, but single width can be done. Additionally the thickness of the slate can be graduated, with thicker slates at the bottom moving to thinner slates near the ridge. The Graduated Thickness slate roof can be done with Single Width or Random Width roofs, or for maximum affect it can be combined with Graduated Length slates for a truly impressive roof. For both the Graduated Length and Graduated Thickness roof options, there are no hard rules on what sizes or thicknesses should be used. Depending on the project, only 3 or 4 lengths can be included in the graduation with as many different thicknesses, or all 7 standard lengths can be employed with only one or two thicknesses "

Had forgotten about the other additional variable of thickness ::)   
Gordon

Malachi Constant

Nick --

Thanks for the original info & the update.  I've made over 2000 of the 1/35 bricks with their mold (and/or mould) now -- those don't have frogs like the 1/16 and 1/48 versions ... but I suppose I'll live!

Looking forward to ordering a bunch of other molds from them ... one item that I'd suggest would be a mold for HALF bricks ... which would be useful for doing various bonds from individual bricks when you're just doing a facade / single layer of brick. 

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

shropshire lad

Quote from: Malachi Constant on September 19, 2012, 02:04:36 AM
Nick --

Thanks for the original info & the update.  I've made over 2000 of the 1/35 bricks with their mold (and/or mould) now -- those don't have frogs like the 1/16 and 1/48 versions ... but I suppose I'll live!

Looking forward to ordering a bunch of other molds from them ... one item that I'd suggest would be a mold for HALF bricks ... which would be useful for doing various bonds from individual bricks when you're just doing a facade / single layer of brick. 

Cheers,
Dallas

Half bricks ?  Can't you cut a whole brick into two ? That is all I've done . You then have the cut edge facing in .

Nick

shropshire lad

Malachi Constant

Quote from: shropshire lad on September 19, 2012, 04:23:46 AM
  Half bricks ?  Can't you cut a whole brick into two ? That is all I've done . You then have the cut edge facing in .

Nick

Well, yes ... but look at it this way:

Strips of pre-laid Flemish bond?  Couldn't you lay them individually?  (sure you can, but ... it's HANDY and/or NICE this way!)

So ... yes, I can certainly cut bricks to all sorts of shapes and sizes ... but it's a bit tedious ... so it's just one of those things that would be nice ... and half bricks would be useful to anyone doing the fascia/facade of bricks only.

Cheers,
Dallas

shropshire lad

Quote from: Malachi Constant on September 19, 2012, 04:36:05 AM
Quote from: shropshire lad on September 19, 2012, 04:23:46 AM

Nick

Well, yes ... but look at it this way:

Strips of pre-laid Flemish bond?  Couldn't you lay them individually?  (sure you can, but ... it's HANDY and/or NICE this way!)

So ... yes, I can certainly cut bricks to all sorts of shapes and sizes ... but it's a bit tedious ... so it's just one of those things that would be nice ... and half bricks would be useful to anyone doing the fascia/facade of bricks only.

Cheers,
Dallas

Well , Dallas , you could ask them yourself if they would make a mould for half bricks . But it would only be worth their while if there was some prospect of selling more than just a few of those moulds , and I'm not sure that they would . But don't rely on what I say because they may be willing to do one just for you . Seeing as it is you !

I still don't think it is much of a hassle snipping a load of bricks in half with some cutters . I also found on my previous shed diorama that due to the way that the bonding came out I needed some larger than half bricks to keep the joints looking right and I could do that just by cutting the bricks differently ,

Nick

Malachi Constant

Quote from: shropshire lad on September 19, 2012, 07:10:24 AM
Well , Dallas , you could ask them yourself if they would make a mould for half bricks . But it would only be worth their while if there was some prospect of selling more than just a few of those moulds , and I'm not sure that they would . But don't rely on what I say because they may be willing to do one just for you . Seeing as it is you !

Yeah, I am "special"  :D   8)  :P ... but I don't think I'll bother them with this, cuz you've already got them coming out with lots of neat stuff.  I made a batch of bricks in resin, so if cutting them turns out to be too much of a chore, I'll cut a bunch of those and make a mold myself (which won't stop me from buying from DD ... have a BUNCH of their molds on my wish list!)

Thanks for your efforts in prompting the various crazy new molds -- lots of neat stuff!  -- Dallas