• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Fine-scale Leaves, Plants, Vegetation and Scenic /Scenery supplies

Started by marc_reusser, April 01, 2011, 02:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shropshire lad

I just ordered a copy of each from Ian Allan Publishing in the UK . It would seem they have plenty in stock . Hopefully with me on Tuesday or Wednesday ,

Nick

Andi Little

Me too! - need all the help I can get - if only to hang onto you blokes coat tails.
KBO..................... Andi.

Mr Potato Head

I got my copies yesterday and it was a quick read. The pictures are great and the SBS very helpful. It translates well into English, I was worried about that? I wish the size was a little larger, and that it was spiral bound, so it would lay flat. The techniques look very doable , I can't wait to try the etched stone method. He says to take Styrofoam (insulating  foam  the blue or pink stuff) and cut it into stone size shapes, then glue it on your walls and then "attack it" with  chemicals like lacquer using a cotton swab to "burn" or melt the foam leaving a very convincing stone face. He Also uses common cheap toilet paper and white glue or wallpaper paste to add texture to Styrofoam surfaces to give them "tooth" and make them easy to stain, like cast plaster walls. There is a lot of stuff in these little books.
MPH
FYI
Alligators swallow rocks to dive deeper!
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

eTraxx

The blue styrofoam is excellent for a lot of things .. bricks in larger scales as Don Railton did. Marc Resser followed up with a SBS on this forum using that method. The foam itself can be distressed simply by roughly tearing and scraping the surface followed by latex base color, AI washes, powdered tempera and so on ..

SBS on styrofoam rocks
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Malachi Constant

Reality-in-Scale has announced a variety of new items, including several new plant & flower offerings.  Saw their announcement on the Gn15 Forum here:
http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=8127&highlight=

Web site here:
http://www.realityinscale.com/
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Chuck Doan

Has anyone tried the Noch leaf flakes? I would be using them in O scale and was just curious what they look like up close.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Malachi Constant

Chuck --

Troels Kirk has used a lot of the Noch leaf flake to make tress on his Coast Line RR ... so have a peek at the (extensive) threads over on the RR Line forum ... for example:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=34468&whichpage=46

Meanwhile, is this close enough?   Cutting mat has 1" grid.  Pencil has weird notch in tip from rubbing graphite on the rails, but otherwise an ordinary #2.  ;D

Dallas

Malachi Constant

There may be some variation in leaf size between batches or colors or whatever is going on there ....

Malachi Constant

Mininatur makes a variety of leaf stuff on tufts and on some spongy material that can be spread out to make trees and bushes.  I think Anders used a good bit of that on his 1/35 salvage yard dio ... saw one of the other modeling guys shaking, brushing or otherwise separating individual leaves from the material ... at a glance, it seems their leaf shapes may be more pleasing (and they actually have DIFFERENT shapes for different types of trees, etc, including accurate ivy shapes.) -- Dallas

Malachi Constant

Closer close-up of the Noch leaves ...

Chuck Doan

Wow, Dallas, thanks very much! It's hard to get an idea from the tiny catalog web page pictures. I appreciate it! I like the Minitur stuff, looks pretty good I might try the scraping idea too.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

eTraxx

Here's some Noch leaves .. I was experimenting day before yesterday .. (suggestions for a macro lens for my Nikon D3000?)

On a 'tree' (experimental wire and polyester and static grass)

On some grayish-polyester

Looking at the rock .. gotta say .. DANG IT .. the lens makes 'globs' of plaster SO obvious. Man. This is my On30 layout .. to put in perspective for leaf size.
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Chuck Doan

Thanks Ed! Looking good, I like dead leaves you did too. Your close-up pics look good to me. Looks like I am going to need a loan to get enough different stuff though.

Dallas do you know if that is the Silflor Horsetail foilage? The dang website pictures are so small and they have a lot of varieties. Pictures like you all are posting would be so nice to see on thier website especially for the money they get.

Malachi Constant

Quote from: Chuck Doan on June 13, 2012, 07:49:38 AM
Thanks Ed! Looking good, I like dead leaves you did too. Your close-up pics look good to me. Looks like I am going to need a loan to get enough different stuff though.

Agreed!  Ed's photos look great ... and the damn stuff is expensive!  :o  :-\

Quote from: Chuck Doan on June 13, 2012, 07:49:38 AMDallas do you know if that is the Silflor Horsetail foilage? The dang website pictures are so small and they have a lot of varieties. Pictures like you all are posting would be so nice to see on thier website especially for the money they get.

Oh, another photo assignment, eh?  ;D  Okay, well I only have a sum total of five packs of the MiniNatur / Silflor stuff ... NOPE ... none of these are the horsetail, so I can't help you there until my loan comes in.  :P

First up:  #725-21S Tufts with leafs / spring

These correspond to MN72521S on Scenic Express page here:
http://www.sceneryexpress.com/products.asp?dept=1041&pagenumber=1&sort_on=&sort_by=

Pretty sure these are the same as what's shown in front of the pile of bricks on Anders lovely dump site!  ;)