• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1:48 Structure with Lean-To

Started by finescalerr, November 30, 2010, 07:31:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jacq01

Uncle Russ would say:   Satisfactory   ;D ;D ;D ;D

amazingly wel done. And a very useful thread

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

Gordon Ferguson

Certainly proves your argument.

Never having built these type of structures I have no real basis to comment but I do like the fineness of the look, if that makes sense  and I am going to presume that when they are set into a landscape they will also have the weight of structures ... again I hope you have some understanding of what I am trying to say.

Certainly if I ever have a decent enough printer I'm going to try this method.

Sue you will have noticed but on this Shorpy photo posted earlier there is a building very similar to yours in the middle of the near foreground - have a look at in full size. The outhouse is a neat little building both in location and the way it is built into the fencing/boundaries

http://www.shorpy.com/node/10190

Gordon

Chuck Doan

I think it came out nice. Very crisp and clean construction.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Malachi Constant

Quite satisfactory.  "Finishes" and assembly look great.  Windows nice and delicate.

One thing stands out a bit ... or actually doesn't seem to stand out.  The freight doors look rather "flat" to me.  The front entry door has nice relief and/or printed shadows ... but the freight door simply looks like printed paper to me and seems like a "give away".  Of course, with everything in a scene and details out front, etc, that could just go away ...

Not related to materials or actual construction ... but also find the overall design and proportions of the buildings very pleasing.  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Mr Potato Head

I think with more embellishments that it would look credible and work in any scene. I like it!
Gil
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

eTraxx

Quote from: gfadvance on April 04, 2011, 02:20:46 PM
<snip>
... The outhouse is a neat little building both in location and the way it is built into the fencing/boundaries

http://www.shorpy.com/node/10190
Seems to me that the water table under that outhouse would be at the level of the river ... which would make things .. interesting.
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

marc_reusser

Umm...well overall I think it looks "most satisfactory" ;D....but we need to talk about those laser cut wood shingles :-X ....and about the direction of the corrugated on the small awning over the door on the larger structure  ???.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Chuck Doan

Hmm. I missed that. But to be fair, I once rented a house with plastic corrugated going that way on a patio cover. It's not wrong, it's....special!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

finescalerr

Some details, like the entry door awning, are deliberately "different". After all, it would function, just not elegantly. I often include later add-ons an amateur handyman might have cobbled together from whatever was available because I have so often seen them in photos and in person.

Please comment further on the laser cut wood shingles. On my next structure I could lay up the roof piece by piece. And I have to write a review of Tom's latest shingles for December.

Dallas, I went into the other room and looked a the freight door; I guess you're right. It really is a 3-D, board-by-board fixture but, now that you mention it, some dirt seems to be missing. Better lighting under the overhang might have brought out the third dimension.

Russ

Philip Smith

Nice work Russ!

Marc, Roofer musta forgot his tinsnips. 
8)

DaKra

Looks great, the proportions will be fine once its in its position as a partial background flat.   Agree on the freight door, maybe some subtle grubby handprints around the handles will help it.    

I like the little overhang with the corrugations going the "wrong" way.  Seems to me, it would deflect more water over the sides, so less to drip down the collar of your coat as you went in and out the door.    

I like the shingles on the model too, they seem subtle enough to be realistic.  Not a big fan of the exaggerated haphazard shingles that are de regeur for craftsman structures.    I've collected a lot of roof photos from Shorpy, was surprised to see how thin, neatly applied and uniform wood shingles usually were.   I've seen the sloppy shingles on sharecropper's shacks and other impoverished dwellings.

Dave

Ray Dunakin

Looks great! Hard to believe it's paper.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Frederic Testard

This is really very convincing, Russ.
Frederic Testard

james_coldicott

Russ,

this is looking really good- I like the subtle rain streaking coming from the upper window sills. Little details like that are what make a structure appear to me to be living in the real world.

How do you feel about doing a SBS on your photoshopping techniques? I think the real value of your work is not to prove the viability of commercially printed card structures but the possibility of using personal photographs of real structures to produce scale artwork to print out a model- basic rescaling and 'squaring up' aside I'd be interested to know what adjustment layers you've used to tone down images for a model or where you have used basic textures to create an individual plank or series of planks. Would be interesting to see your source references (photo's?) for texture and how they were translated into your model.

James

clevermod01

Great thread Russ. The results speak volumes. You are a true explorer.
Thom