• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1:48 Structure with Lean-To

Started by finescalerr, November 30, 2010, 07:31:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

Here's the first shot. -- Russ

finescalerr

And here's the second.

Please note that, following Marc's stern directive, I tried to put the structure in some kind of context although it actually will be on a dock, part of a diorama of three building flats. It will abut the left-hand wall of the third building and has only two sides.

Russ

JESTER

Malachi Constant

OMG yer building something!  ;D

Shed looks real good ... see some bothersome parting/joint lines (vertical) on the steel drum ... (I KNOW that's not the focal point here, I'm just saying)

>>>> More info on the corrugated roofing please!

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

finescalerr

Hey, Dallas, I built the shed, not the el cheapo cast drum! One more like that and I'll send you to the corner!

Construction details later. This was a dress rehearsal for the much larger structures I still must build.

Russ

Mobilgas

;) Satisfactory         Craig
Craig

artizen

Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

Frederic Testard

Well done. This card modelling is convincing.
Frederic Testard

Philip Smith

Finally something in 1/48th! 8)  I like the looks of everything except your rafters design looks unprototypical. Shouldn't they be running the other way, especially if butted to another wall?

just a thought....

Philip

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

lab-dad

Good start, but something bothers me about the paint.
It is too uniform may be? Wouldn't the battens be more worn than the boards?

-Marty

finescalerr

Can't please everyone, guys. Whatever it's imperfections, it is complete.

The sub-roof consists of individual boards running down from the peak. They rest on the horizontal rafters. This thing wasn't designed by an architect or an engineer; it's a handyman's add-on. And, structurally, it works; check your reference photos for examples of similar sheds.

Yes, it's paper. 100-percent. Not a molecule of wood, metal, or plastic. Lanaquarelle cold press paper provides the wood-like texture. Under magnification it is almost identical to basswood. I laminated the main board veneer to 4-ply Strathmore Bristol plate with 3M double-sided carpet tape. Similarly, I created my own peel-and-stick battens from Lanaquarelle with a backing of carpet tape. The scale thickness is dead on.

The roofing material is matte inkjet paper with my "rusty metal" artwork. I ran it through a corrugating tool and weathered it with a Cool Gray Chartpak marker. I touched the Strathmore 4 ply rafter ends and some areas of siding at the bottom of the shed with tiny drops of SilverWood stain; the rest of the grime is powdered artist's pastel chalk.

I have had almost no modeling (or music) time during this break between books; my father has been sick and I've been taking care of him for about a third of each day. The time I saved on painting, staining, chipping, distressing, sanding, filing, and gluing made it possible to completely scratchbuild the shed (a building flat with only two finished sides) in a mere two weeks!

Russ

Don Railton

Russ - It looks good. What corrugating tool did you use for the roof?  The tools I've used made ribs too large for 1/32 let alone 1/48.  Your roof fits the scale nicely.

Don

finescalerr

My friend (and fellow Terrapin modeler), Ted Edgell, appropriated a beautifully custom machined roller from work. They had used it for something or other and were going to toss it. Ted noticed the ribs were virtually dead on for 1:48, asked for it, and took it home. When we need it, Ted brings it to a meet and we roll our foil or, in my case, paper through it.

Marc figured out a good design for a 1:48 press, by the way, and may have posted something about either his own idea or one he found online someplace on this forum. I found a PDF showing how to make a press and if any of you guys needs it, send me a personal e-mail and I'll send you a copy.

Russ

JohnP

Sorry about your father Russ. Nice that you have the gumption to care for him.

The shed looks good. Certainly layout quality and diorama quality with more context. I think we are too used to seeing all the 1:32 and 1:24 stuff. 1:48 is small on this forum these days. One can examine and judge a project, or one can absorb the intent and essence and get more out of it. This shed is well proportioned and easy to comprehend.

This comes at a nice time. I was just before this looking for a 1:48 structure kit to assemble over the longish holiday vaca I have coming. Didn't find much, my eyes are still in pain from some of it. So me thinks I will go shopping at Michaels and experiment with card. Plus, your quick finishing methods would work better for me. Thanks.

What is "Lanaquarelle"?

John
John Palecki