• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

A really big neon sign in 1/87

Started by BKLN, September 16, 2010, 10:17:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nk

You may ask yourself: "Well, how did I get here?"

http://public.fotki.com/nkhandekar/

finescalerr

What photo shows the model? -- Russ

SandiaPaul

Great work, and one of my favorite signs.
Petition signed.

Paul
Paul

Design-HSB

My appreciation is a great unique model.

It then comes to light it on the desire with me.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

1-32

it seems to be a common thread around the world-lets get rid of all the iconic landmarks.
any chance of a close up shot.
great work
kim

Ray Dunakin

Holy carp, that is a very impressive model of an impressive prototype!

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Guy Milh(imeter)

here in Belgium we say "MACHTIG !!!"

translation: mighty, powerful, influential

petition signed !!

chester

Would love to see the sign saved. You've done a wonderful job of replicating it for posterity. I signed.

eric

wow really great, bluffing pics.
Look like it can resist hurricane too  ;D

eric

jerseymercantile

I grew up in Brooklyn.
I passed the sign daily on my commute to school (NYCCC) and then to my job at A&S Department store.
It would be a shame to lose it.
I signed.
Jack
Jack

Chuck Doan

I recieved an update from the councliman who started the petition. Seems the sign will go, but the letters will be preserved. Sort of a dubious victory. I can't imagine how they would ever display them again. But nothing lasts forever.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

BKLN

I can't consider this a victory, either.

What really gets me, is the short sighted view that so many of these businessmen have. The Gowanus neighborhood has gone thru drastic changes: once rich with jobs and heavy industry, then to wasteland and now into newly energized mixed use between residential and light industrial use.

What the owner fails to understand is that it is exactly the industrial heritage that attracts people (call them yuppies if you will - I am one of them) to this neighborhood. By denying and rejecting this heritage, he strips his properties of the most valuable asset: Authenticity!

But the sign is private property, and he can do whatever he wants with it.

Anyway, thank you all for all the nice comments!

Hydrostat

That's what I thought, too. Tear it out of its context and it will get meaningless. You come straight to the point when it gets to the question of "profitability", which mostly is denied by people who want to get rid of their history.

A very impressive structure in prototype and model. I like the pics very much. Very well done - both the model and photography.

Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Chuck Doan

I can't imagine anything new that will be built there that will ever create as much notice or feeling.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Hauk

Quote from: Chuck Doan on June 13, 2014, 12:39:05 PM
I recieved an update from the councliman who started the petition. Seems the sign will go, but the letters will be preserved. Sort of a dubious victory. I can't imagine how they would ever display them again. But nothing lasts forever.

So much of the Industrial and Architectural heritage disappears. Especially the landmarks that the casual observer labels "ugly" or mundane gets torn down at an alarming pace.

I find this very depressing, but at the same time it is a good reason for building scale models, and personally one of my biggest motivation factors as a model builder. Another example, the prototype for my red warehouse model is falling to the ground almost as we speak.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past