• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Barnabus O"Reilly lumber-sand-coal

Started by madmike3434, January 11, 2011, 09:12:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madmike3434

This is an O scale structure i built called Barnabus O'Reilly. 
I always loved my fine scale miniatures duffys coal company in HO and i decided to duplicate and modify its design to suit myself in O scale,  in my scratch build # 440 .
I never finished the scenery ground cover and detailing as it got sold to a big lionel layout in schenectady NY. after the person saw the pictures posted on a group.
The green patinaed roof is the real deal of copper raised seam material that has been specially treated by me to turn verigated green.
The corregated iron roofing is also the real deal, no enhancing powders, thats really rusted.
Shingles are birch veneer hand cut and applied one at a time and treated with leather dye and alcohol mixture to turn weathered grey.
The lumber shed is constructed using scale lumber and built exactly the same way as a real one.

mike

NORCALLOGGER

Mike,
That is a beautiful structure, good job.
What did you use on the copper, muriatic acid or just vineagar?
Rick

madmike3434

RICK....The real copper raised seam O scale roofing is from builders in scale.

To make it go verigated green/blue,  i first dip it in feric chloric circuit board cleaner to remove the coating on the copper, then right away dip it in clean water to remove the residue.  This makes it go naturel looking and slightly softens the copper.

Here is the real trick to the verigation.....pee into a clean margerine container. Using tweezers dip the cleaned copper sheet into the marg container and immediately remove and place onto a paper towel 'raised seams up' and leave to air dry. Might take a day or so to verigate. You might have to re-dip and let dry a second time. Sometimes i can get the whole sheet to work in one shot other times i had to re-dip a few times and sometimes even had to use a very fluffy brush to apply more liquid to various areas.
DO NOT spray dull coat or any other clear coat as it might cause the verigation to lift. Also be careful handling the sheets as its ( verigation ) is very fragile. I think i have done maybe 15-20 roofs or partial roofs with this method.
The subject came up about verigating on a sunday nite chat group on freerails and one of the auzzie guys mentioned how his brother was a roofer and what they would do while installing the copper sheeting was to dump a bucket of urine on the roof to start the verigating process .  Being the inquisitive type i decided to attempt it the next morning and was successfull.
mike  ;D

BKLN

Please, please DO NOT post any pictures of your "special techniques".  :-\
We all love step-by-steps, but not of every process.

Mobilgas

Craig

78ths

Guessing Copper.  Probably depends on PH balance. I think vinegar would be my preference.   :-X :-\
Ferd Mels  Ontario Canada    eh!
SE Scale - all other scales pale by comparison.  7/8"=1'-0"
www.78ths.com

EZnKY

Not only is urine used to treat new copper, but I've also heard of it being used to treat concrete forms before pouring the concrete.
Weird...
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

madmike3434

Quote from: Mobilgas on January 12, 2011, 03:55:52 PM
Pee  :-\ used for weathering   WHAT??

The human Urine = pee makes the real copper raised seam roofing material and weathers it to a patinaed green/blue, just like the real thing.
I think i tried vinegar, both the white vinegar and the brown malted type and the results were unsatisfactory.  I only managed to consistently get the patina finish using the method i wrote about.

NORCALLOGGER

Well,
When all is said and done, I believe I will stick with Muriatic Acid.
Rick

madmike3434

Quote from: NORCALLOGGER on January 12, 2011, 07:40:21 PM
Well,
When all is said and done, I believe I will stick with Muriatic Acid.
Rick

Do you have a picture to post and also your method using the muriatic acid....is it diluted or full strength ???

Here is another example of my green patina copper roof on my scratch built structure , but this time i used bragdons power to enhance the effect, more to even out the roof colour than to weather it.

mike

marc_reusser

Administrators Note:I think the urine discussion has run its course.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

darrylhuffman

Mike,

Another great model from you, as usual.

I have bought and sold Duffy's Coal Yard several times as I can never fit it into my scheme of things even though I really love the design of the kit.

Your version is a nice adaptation.
Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com
The search for someone else to blame is always succcessful.

madmike3434

Thanks Darryl, i had to shorten the diorama base down to about 24" long in O and leave some of the buildings out of Georges original design.  I added the bumpout room on the back wall.

Because duffys #275 and #295 Fox Run Milling co , both had a roadway running down i thought would be great to bring them together in one scene.   I built duffys backwards in the main building , changed the direction of the roadway so the joined together and mounted them both .  I re-designed it so they would be joined together on a 40" long diorama. I designed it as a front of layout piece.  The service track went across the front of both structures and a short trestle bridge to the mill.

I know i have a set of pictures of it on a cd somewhere from 2003

RICK>>>>NORCALLOGGER...sure would like to see and read about your method of verigating copper to go green using muriatic acid.

mike

madmike3434

here are 3 pictures of that HO scale diorama that have been shrunken to acceptable size, but cannot be click on to expand....sorry

mike

madmike3434

I managed to end up with one picture that was less than 200 kb.  I posted a 245 kb photo in the yorke kits group photos, which gets automatically shrunken in size by the yahoo system.  I then emailed that picture to myself and copied it into my pictures.  From there i was able to post it.

mike