• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.
 

News:

    REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

A snapshot in time. A glimpse of the Plettenberger Kleinbahn in 1/22.5 scale.

Started by Hydrostat, September 27, 2013, 01:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

It looks complicated and most people would assume it took a trained eye and a lot of meticulous work to create such realism, especially the gutter and downspout. But we on the forum know how quick and easy it really was. You probably took a nap and let AI build the whole thing. -- Russ

Bill Gill

Volker, Even when you are 'in the gutter'your work is worth looking at.
Will the roof hatch remain open to see inside or is it operable and can be open and closed as you wish?
(I would answer this 42 is a 45.)

Hauk

We are all laying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
Regards, Hauk
--
Statement of authencity: All the content in this post was made without using AI in any form. This includes the modelling, the photography, post-prosessing and writing.

Remembrance Of Trains Past

finescalerr


nk

Volker this is really great work. Thanks for posting. Can you explain a little how you made the roofing material and the sealant between sheets. It looks so right, the textures are bang-on. I am curious how you got there. Thanks
Narayan
You may ask yourself: "Well, how did I get here?"

Barney

Looking Good and that roof covering just looks like my garden shed stuff - excellent work
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

Hydrostat

Hi there,

Quote from: finescalerr on September 27, 2026, 12:14:22 PMIt looks complicated and most people would assume it took a trained eye and a lot of meticulous work to create such realism, especially the gutter and downspout. But we on the forum know how quick and easy it really was. You probably took a nap and let AI build the whole thing. -- Russ

Russ, now that you mention it: well, yes. I did it that way from the very beginning. Makes life much easier.


Quote from: Bill Gill on September 27, 2026, 12:43:38 PMVolker, Even when you are 'in the gutter'your work is worth looking at.
Will the roof hatch remain open to see inside or is it operable and can be open and closed as you wish?
(I would answer this 42 is a 45.)

Bill, old wordsmith, the roof hatch is operable to allow taking pictures, catering to my every whim.

Quote from: Hauk on September 27, 2026, 11:48:02 PMWe are all laying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Hauk, oh well. And some even look at star-patterned wallpaper!


Quote from: nk on September 29, 2026, 11:02:51 AMVolker this is really great work. Thanks for posting. Can you explain a little how you made the roofing material and the sealant between sheets. It looks so right, the textures are bang-on. I am curious how you got there. Thanks
Narayan

I basically followed the same procedure I described here: Wiesenthal stop. This time, I used standard printer paper and coarser silicon carbide, since the roof was accessible and the material needed to be somewhat more robust. For the more complex exterior sections at the building corners - which were harder to reach - it might have been better to use a finer or thinner roofing paper material. These parts are made of sandpaper because, as removable model components, they needed to be somewhat rigid and retain their shape. After applying the silicon carbide over the spray adhesive and coloring it black, the texture looked a bit too coarse. However, once I had saturated the entire surface with CA, the result looked just right. The joint sealing was created - as previously described - using several coats of thick acrylic paint.   

Quote from: Barney on September 29, 2026, 02:07:58 PMLooking Good and that roof covering just looks like my garden shed stuff - excellent work
Barney

Thanks, Barney, I think I might like your garden shed  ;D

Now I have to wait for some missing 3D prints of junction boxes to finish the upper floor; all the furniture is already done. When this is installed I can glue the fence in place and start tiling the roof. Okay: AI will add two more roof hatches beforehand.

Cheers,
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Bernhard