• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Steel cable transmission

Started by Peter_T1958, October 29, 2012, 12:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

Quote from: Bill Gill on February 08, 2019, 05:22:37 AM
The model granite is carved styrene. The mortar is Sculptamold with a bit of water, yellow wood glue and paint tinting colors.

That looks amazing, Bill! How did you carve the styrene to get such surface detail?

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Bill Gill

Thanks, Ray. To not hijack Peter's terrific thread, I started a new thread in Tips, Tricks, Techniques & Tools : styrene rock & stone.
Another technique that I have now used several times for creating a terrific stone surface came from you. I have small roundish piece of granite from a beach that I hold in my hand and tap against the styrene until it imparts a very realistic stone texture to the surface. Thanks for that great tip!

Peter_T1958

Quote from: Bill Gill on February 09, 2019, 05:47:43 AM
To not hijack Peter's terrific thread, I started a new thread

No hijacking at all, Bill - an excellent addition, thanks!

I've managed to complete the side wall now and played around with some colour. Not sure how much weathering it needs; to me it's still too clean. Hmm, I will have to add some more contrast, but compared to the original (remains of an old industry canal in the vicinity)...   :-\

... and here my interpretation:

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

Hydrostat

I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Design-HSB

Peter, a wonderful realistic scene.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Ray Dunakin

I like the dead leaves in the water.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Are you sure your interpretation isn't the actual river and stone wall? -- Russ

TRAINS1941

Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Bill Gill

Peter, your canal stonework and water are terrific.

Lawton Maner

I think Russ is right!  You photographed the real thing on the day after the scouts did a massive litter cleanup. Scary it looks so real.

1-32

Hi Peter.
a great model your painting skills and the use of texture is amazing.
thanks,regard Kim

Barney

I agree with all a superb model - just needs a light dusting of colour or leave it !
Barney

Peter_T1958

Thanks a lot for all your comments! I have done some more contrast to the side wall. Here some final pics and now I will concentrate on some final projects, as i. E. the gangways and the riverside path.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

Chuck Doan

That looks wonderful Peter! Love the water and the stone coloring. So nice to see this come together.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

finescalerr