• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Steel cable transmission

Started by Peter_T1958, October 29, 2012, 12:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordon Ferguson

Hate to admit that he is right , but Marc's solution re 3d printing is the obvious way to go ......... My ramblings were "so last century"  ;D
Gordon

Arno Boudoiron

Ouch! ;) Challenging work!  ;D
I have a dummy question: do the pulleys have to turn?
How many pulleys do you need for your project?

I noticed: According to the pictures there are 10 spokes, but 6 on the original drawing. Am I wrong?

Awesome work
Cheers Peter

A.

Peter_T1958

Hi gents

It is quite incredible how much assistance I am given from this community! Even support in 3d printing was offered from a member...  I am overwhelmed! Thanks a lot!

@Gordon and Marc
You are certainly right, that 3d printing is the obvious way to go ... and it would surely give an excellent result. Unfortunately I have no experience in that technologie up to now.

Gordon, your ideas aren't "so last century" especially in relation to what I am able to do on my desk. So thank you very much for your "ramblings", they helped a lot and provided a fresh impetus to my work: Why not trying it the same way the original was probably made! Yeah, that is it, and it's clear now: I do not have to do the full circle... This doesn't make it too much easier, but it is a new approach I will follow!

@Arno
Quote from: Arno Boudoiron on November 22, 2013, 07:31:41 AM
I have a dummy question: do the pulleys have to turn?
How many pulleys do you need for your project?
I noticed: According to the pictures there are 10 spokes, but 6 on the original drawing. Am I wrong?

1) The pulleys (I need two of them) won't turn - this will be a static model
2) It is almost shameful that I hadn't noticed that until now. You are right: On the original drawing there are only six spokes; in the picture there are always ten. I don't understand how this could happen. I looked at the photos surely a  thousend times ...  ??? ??? ???
Thanks, Arno, you saved my day!

@Chuck

As I notice now the shape of the outher rim isn't exact the same as in the factory drawings too. I urgently have to redo my sketches!!!   

Peter
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

Peter_T1958

Quote from: Gordon Ferguson on November 22, 2013, 12:10:42 AM
Hate to admit that he is right , but Marc's solution re 3d printing is the obvious way to go.

As I wrote before I have no experience in that technologie up to now, nevertheless the problem was solved in this way sooner than expected...

After several attempts I had to admit, that there was no reasonable solution in Styrene to this problem (too weak). Therefore I was very happy to accept Volkers grateful offer to do the 3d data model for me, so to speak as a Christmas present :-)
Thanks a lot Volker!!!

Yesterday I received the result from Shapeways. Very clean print!

Cheers, Peter

Gordon Ferguson

Great result. The whole thing is coming together rather well
Gordon

Arno Boudoiron

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Chuck Doan

Very nice! I could not imagine scratchbuilding two of those.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

finescalerr

Shapeways to the rescue again. Excellent! -- Russ

Design-HSB

Hello Volker and Peter,

that is successful teamwork.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Peter_T1958

That is nearly true, but Volker himself is the team  ;)  All I could contribute was a drawing and some mesurements!

BTW: He created that virtually overnight - I could hardly believe it!

lab-dad

That is neat!
Will it be used "as-is" or will it be cast in brass?
The reason I ask is you said the styrene was not strong enough.
-Marty

marc_reusser

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Max Corey

Very nice.  Interesting technology I know very little about.  Only way I would have otherwise thought to make those would be to either cast them in aluminum or machine them with the CNC mill at Kalamazoo Industries, both some work.
A screw up on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on mine.

Peter_T1958

Quote from: lab-dad on December 17, 2013, 03:08:23 PM
Will it be used "as-is" or will it be cast in brass?
The reason I ask is you said the styrene was not strong enough.
-Marty

Hi Marty
I do not have any experience in such material yet, but I intend to use it "as-is". I meant, the styrene wasn't strong enough to work on with saw and file and without Volkers help I would have had to change to brass. But without lathe or milling machine that would have been a huge challenge ...

May I also take this opportunity of asking you where do you get the brass bevel gears on your breathtaking Shay (a feast for the eyes!!!)?

Peter