• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The former blacksmith shop in Rickarum, Sweden. 1/35 scale,

Started by Junior, May 09, 2011, 02:05:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billmart

I'd like to see a SBS on painting the mopeds.

Bill Martinsen

Junior

Thanks Hauk....see you there in October and bring as much as you can carry including the loco!

SBS for the 1958 Honda C100 Mopeds. Refer to the pictures on page 20 in this thread.

First of all this kit from DioPark is incredibly detailed and when checking against the original I can´t find anything that they have missed. Even the tiny 50cc engine is complete although it´s barley visible.

The "New Moped"

1. Assembled according to the instructions however I didn´t glue the wheels, turn lights, knee pad (not sure what it´s called in English) in place yet.

2. Air brushed everything except the lights with Alclad Gloss Black Base and then with Alclad Chrome.

3. Brush painted the tires with a mixture of Humbrol flat Black and Tan. Enamels and thinner will make the paint flow nicely around the rims contrary to acrylics. When dry you can use acrylics as it´s not so critical to get close to the rims. A mixture of Vallejo Black and Sunny Skin was used for the final coats to get a nice semi gloss finish.

4. Started to mask the areas that I wanted to keep in a Chrome finish while air brushing the green coat but gave up - it´s just too small and even the smallest sized Tamiya tape is very difficult to line up accurately. So what to do? Had several 25 year old Humbrol gloss paint cans and made a few tests with brush painting those. Believe it or not these paints flows beautifully and on these tiny parts they look perfectly air brushed.

5. Brush painted the turn and rear lights with a very thin mix of Humbrol gloss (red, orange etc.) to keep them transparent. Painted the seat with mixture of Vallejo White and Grey. When dry I gave it a wash of Humbrol Light Grey to outline the details in the seat. After decaling I air brushed the completed moped with Alclad Acrylic Gloss varnish.

6. The bag was painted in a similar way as the seat. The camera was air brushed Alclad Polished Aluminum. A light spray from a can of Semi Mat Black (an excellent paint I buy at a car parts shop) was allowed to dry for a few minutes and then using Mineral Spirits and a 10/0 brush some of the paint was removed to reveal parts in the Polished Aluminum finish. The lens was painted with a thin mix of Humbrol Dark Blue and a final coat of Vallejo Gloss varnish.

The "Wrecked Moped".

1. Air brushed everything in the same way as for the "New" one but this time with Alcald Polished Aluminum.

2. Wheels were also done in the same way as for the "New" one. The missing front wheel ended up in the shop. Made quite a few dents in the "knee pad" with a soldering iron.

3. Next I air brushed a coat of Alclad Acrylic Gloss varnish to protect the Polished Aluminum paint from the weathering procedures.

4. Brush painted the dark and light blue areas with Humbrol enamels. Before completely dry I removed paint in select areas with Mineral Spirits and made scratches with a needle. The Polished Aluminum now showed through here and there in a nice way. Added the decals.

5. Rust was painted using paints and washes from Humbrol, A.K. Interactive, artists oils, MIG Abteilung oils etc. Final weathering was done with various pigments.

6. The seat was painted with Vallejo Red and scratches were made with a scalpel. By pushing the scalpel quite hard into the seat and then bend upwards I think I got the look of a vinyl seat that have been abused with a knife. Black washes and some dry brushing finished the seat.

This is as much as I can remember for now regarding these two Mopeds.

Anders

jacq01

Anders,

it looks like I will be there to critise it from all angles. Fantastic work !!!!
    Will we meet on the Saturday before the show ??

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

shropshire lad

Quote from: jacq01 on June 02, 2012, 10:37:08 AM

Anders,

it looks like I will be there to critise it from all angles. Fantastic work !!!!
    Will we meet on the Saturday before the show ??

Jacq

Which show are we talking about ?

Nick

Ray Dunakin

Whoa! Until I read your SBS and went back to look at the photos, I didn't realize that the "new" moped had been custom painted. I thought it was an expensive, pre-finished diecast model! Very impressive work!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

jacq01

Nick,

it is the Scale Model Challenge  http://www.scalemodelfactory.nl/smc01.html in Veldhoven
  ( near Eindhoven)  0n 14 October

Jacq
I am what I remember.

shropshire lad

Quote from: jacq01 on June 03, 2012, 12:19:27 AM

Nick,

it is the Scale Model Challenge  http://www.scalemodelfactory.nl/smc01.html in Veldhoven
  ( near Eindhoven)  0n 14 October

Jacq

Isn't that the same weekend as the American Train Show in Switzerland you are booked to do ? If so , do I take it that due to you present situation you have had to cancel it ?

It looks quite tempting , I wonder if Remora Island could float over there ?

Nick

jacq01

Nick,

I also realised it is the same weekend. I filled the forms for Adliswil as this will be the 15th and last convention held with some special guests.
This means I will miss seeing Anders's and Hauk's work in Eindhoven. :'( :'(

Jacq
I am what I remember.

Gordon Ferguson

Quote from: shropshire lad on June 03, 2012, 01:59:24 AM

I wonder if Remora Island could float over there ?

Nick

Not at its current weight, words such as stone, sinks & like come to mind.

Try the Russians, they have some good heavy lift helicopters  ;)
Gordon

shropshire lad

Quote from: gfadvance on June 03, 2012, 02:31:49 AM
Quote from: shropshire lad on June 03, 2012, 01:59:24 AM

I wonder if Remora Island could float over there ?

Nick

Not at its current weight, words such as stone, sinks & like come to mind.

Try the Russians, they have some good heavy lift helicopters  ;)

I think I might . I don't think my back can take the strain for much longer !

Junior

Just to get a few things straight here. Hauk and myself are meeting up at an N.G. meet not far from where I live here in Sweden and that´s the weekend prior to the show in Eindhoven. I will be in Eindhoven as well but I´m not sure I will bring the diorama because that means a seven hour drive and the show is only for one day. I most likley hop on a flight but it´s too bad I won´t be seeing you there Jacques.

Nick....I can guarantee the show is fantastic if you plan to attend.

Anders

Barney

No worries about Nick he fell asleep at our Phoenix meeting yesterday and as far as I know he is still in a corner somewhere !! But he is forgiven this time because the floating island is getting better by the day "mind blowing stuff" the island that is - not Nick last seen going in the wrong direction on the M6 motorway possibly still asleep !
Barney

jacq01

QuoteNick last seen going in the wrong direction on the M6 motorway possibly still asleep !

I hope he will be home in time to join me for the show in Switzerland

Jacq
I am what I remember.

shropshire lad

Quote from: Barney on June 03, 2012, 04:22:28 AM
No worries about Nick he fell asleep at our Phoenix meeting yesterday and as far as I know he is still in a corner somewhere !! But he is forgiven this time because the floating island is getting better by the day "mind blowing stuff" the island that is - not Nick last seen going in the wrong direction on the M6 motorway possibly still asleep !
Barney

At least I didn't snore . I caught myself just in time ! Maybe it was something to do with the rivetting conversation . Literally , they were talking about rivets , and who makes the better ones , Tichy or Grandt Line . That and a pint of beer at lunchtime was enough to send anyone off to the land of nod !

Nick

( From my hotel room in Carlisle ! ) [ Look it up on a map to get the joke .]

shropshire lad

Quote from: Junior on June 03, 2012, 03:42:01 AM
Just to get a few things straight here. Hauk and myself are meeting up at an N.G. meet not far from where I live here in Sweden and that´s the weekend prior to the show in Eindhoven. I will be in Eindhoven as well but I´m not sure I will bring the diorama because that means a seven hour drive and the show is only for one day. I most likley hop on a flight but it´s too bad I won´t be seeing you there Jacques.

Nick....I can guarantee the show is fantastic if you plan to attend.

Anders

Anders ,

The show does look very tempting , but it looks as if I am being posted elsewhere for that weekend . Can't you get the organisers to change the dates !

By the way . The diorama is looking quite nice now !    ( Us Brits pride ourselves in being  masters of the understatement ! )

Actually it is bloody fantastic . I like what you've done with the Royal Model figure with the mug in his hand . I've had one for a year or two but haven't worked out how to use him yet , so yours is good inspiration .

I can't recall you telling us , but where did you get the pantiles on the roof from ? Would they be made by Juweela , by any chance ?

Nick