• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

HO scale 1950s Finnuken's Pharmacy

Started by Bill Gill, March 05, 2019, 08:08:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

It might also benefit from several dozen whiskey bottles, some brass spittoons, and an oil painting of a Rubenesque half naked woman .... -- Russ

Bill Gill

It might also benefit from several dozen whiskey bottles, some brass spittoons, and an oil painting of a Rubenesque half naked woman .... -- Russ

Oh, that stuff, yeah sure, that's all along with the cigar smoke and poker tables in the backroom that's partially seen between counter and the ice cream freezers in the rear wall...
The door to the left of that leads upstairs to the bikini clad, thonged beauties, but you probably already knew that. ;)

finescalerr

Lawton Maner

There should 2 teenagers sharing the milkshake.  With only eyes for each other and possibly an old maid at a table out in the room giving them the evil eye.
As for Russ" suggestion this is a family friendly discussion site and his mind needs to be relegated to one of those back alley places where no family man would dare to be seen going to or coming from.

Bill Gill

Lawton, turns out the Finnuken's daughter is working at the soda fountain this summer.
There is a strawberry milk shake yet to come and the leftovers in the stainless cannister the shake was made in, but they won't get glued to the counter until the rest of the pharmacy is complete. (Both are visible part way down on page one of this thread)

I took a few shots today from slightly different angles, outside in the sun because even though the the floor won't be glued to the walls, when the walls are lifted off the building the items behind the fountain won't be able to be photographed from this view point.

Here's two more looks (click photos to enlarge).

Bernd

Love those tiny details. Nice work.

Bernd

New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

Lawton Maner

When I was a child the Westhampton Pharmacy which was in the West End of Richmond, Va would serve the mixing container along with the milk shake as there always was a bit more of it then would fit into the glass.  Custom was that you finished the mixing container first so that they could clean it and have it ready for the next customer.

Bill Gill

Lawton, The pharmacy nearby wher I lived in Warwick, VA also served the leftover milkshake container along with the rest of the shake in its own glass, but there we quickly slurpped the glass low enough to empty the rest of the container into it. Collapsed a lot of straws and got a lot of brain freezes, but we did our part to help the counter person. That pharmacy also had real fountain Cokes and custom mixed the cherry and lemon Cokes.

On the side view photo above, just to the left off the magazine rack you can see the green mixer for shakes with a grayish mixing container under it. A little further to the left is the gooseneck spigot with black nozzle and lever for carbonated water.

Lawton Maner

Are you still there?  I am a life long resident of Williamsburg.

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Bill Gill

LAWTON, No, that was a long time ago. I may or may not have an old friend in Williamsburg...there is a mix of addresses and I can't sort out which one is current.

RAY: Will that be a regular, double stuff or Big Stuff :)

Lawton Maner

Bill:
Tell Ray to put his Oreos into Russ' martini shaker and put some Jimmy Buffett music on before acting as his own bartender.

Hydrostat

Bill,

your degree of detailing is really amazing and so is your choice of materials! Howsoever I'm looking forward to see some distance shots of the finished scenes; texture is an annoying as well as inevitable giveaway in closeups of small scale modeling.

Cheers,
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Bill Gill

Volker, I agree with you completely that textures and other things quickly giveaway small scale models. I am woking as well as I can on every aspect of this pharmacy project and I like it, a lot. But looking at it in photos it is instantly obvious that it is a model, even without the plastic people.

Compare that you your latest photo on your Quiet earth. Heck, compare almost any of the photos in your Quiet earth thread, where at the very best an extremely observant viewer might wonder if the photo could possibly be a model...but most likely conclude it isn't.

One difficulty with "distant shots of the finished scenes" is that those latest photos pretty much are the distant scenes. The shots were taken with only two walls of the pharmacy in place and the "photographer" was looking in from outside through one missing wall.

Here is a photo of the front display windows that my son took with his phone. The phone was very close - you can see the right side of the photo is out of focus - but if the phone were moved back much it would capture things beyond the tiny layout itself.

finescalerr

Yes, we can tell it's a small scale model but it still looks excellent. -- Russ