• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Tozer Portable Steam Engine in 1:16 scale

Started by Scratchman, January 29, 2012, 01:39:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scratchman

Thanks Ken. Here's a photo of the boiler core for the two models. I will build the steam pumps separate from the boiler. The steam pumps will be built on the three strips of styrene that goes around the jig, and will be added to the boiler after painting. Now I can start building the engine and start adding detail to the boiler. The three styrene strips are not glued to the jig, so it will be easy to remove the the pump from the jig.

Gordon Birrell

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77318580@N00/

Scratchman

Here's a photo of the front wheel assembly. I still need to add the ends of the axle.

Here's a photo of  the smoke stack core.

The stacks is 12" in diameter. The biggest brass tubing I have is 21/32 or 10-1/2" diameter. I first cut the 21/32" brass tubing 2' 10" long for the bottom and 8'4" long for the top. The bottom piece I smashed one end to make it out of round. Next I added to the bottom a 1/32 " anchoring post that goes over the top of the 1/16" anchoring post in the boiler. To join the top to the bottom I added a short piece of 5/8" brass tubing. After seeing how skinny the stack looked I decided it needed to get closer to the 12" diameter of the prototype. I replaced the top piece with 3/4" plastruct tubing that would still fit the 5/8" joiner piece. On the bottom I added 060" x 100" long styrene around the the deform brass tubing. To my surprise the styrene strips stayed parallel all the way around. After sanding I added a layer of Mr. Surfacer 500 to start filling the gaps. After this layer was dried I sanded down to the styrene. This gives me a good core to add the rest of the detail.   

Gordon Birrell

finescalerr

Wesleybeks

I need a new wheel for my mountain bike after a fall on the weekend. Could you perhaps make me one? ;D ;D

As always its great to see your updates.
Kind Regards
Wesley

Modelling in sunny South Africa

Scratchman

Scratchman

I just got this list of measurements to help with the engine parts. 

- Diameter of exhaust pipe (long piece): 2-3/8"
- Diameter of the two round ends: 3-1/8"
- Length of the two round ends: 5-1/4"
- Dimensions of the curved piece that came out from the slide valve to the round bigger end:
- Width: 1-3/4"
- Thickness: 1-3/4"
- Length (non considering the curves, from the slide valve box to the round big end): 8-5/8"

- In-side of bearing to in-side of bearing: 12-1/8"
- Bearing box width: 7-3/4" to the outside up to the round eccentric ( the bearing box is made of a -round part and square part, this measurements is for the total width of the round bearing box)
-5-7/8" to the outside up to the square end of the bearing box, where you can see the bolts and nuts
- Slide valve eccentric total width: 2"
- Eccentric width: 1-1/2" (where there is bolted the eccentric bearing)
- Crank shaft weights width: 2-1/2"
- Piston rod bearing width: 2-1/2"
- Total width of cranck shaft weigths and piston rod bearing: 7-1/2"
- Governor pulley total width: 2-1/2"
- Governor pulley belt width: 2"

Gordon Birrell             http://www.flickr.com/photos/77318580@N00/

Scratchman

finescalerr

I suspect your model will look better than its full size counterpart. -- Russ

Hauk

Your combination of quantity and quality is just amazing.
On the average, how many hours a week do you spend on modelling?
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Scratchman

Here's one more photo of the prototype.

Here's the two sets of wheels finished and painted.

Gordon Birrell

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Gus

That is absolutely beautiful work Gordon :D

Cheers - Gus

chester

Fabulous work again Gordon. I love this build, thanks for bringing it to us.

Scratchman

Andi Little

I may of said this before? ............................ You really are very good at this.

Huzzah!
KBO..................... Andi.