• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Fordson tugger hoist

Started by Chuck Doan, January 10, 2017, 09:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juke Joint

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Greg Hile

Chuck Doan

Thanks!  

I couldn't bring myself to modify the Danbury manifold, so I spent some time making my own. This is a different version than the Danbury one, and I did a little photo scaling to figure most of it out. The nuts and pipes will not be printed, but will be added as separate items.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

finescalerr

TRAINS1941

Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Bill Gill

Juke Joint

lab-dad

I am  curious what a "printed" Fordson would cost.
Marty

finescalerr

That might depend on who does it. If Shapeways, while the price might be lower, you might have to clean it up a lot. If a 3-D printing expert were able to produce parts requiring virtually no cleanup, it would require a lot more time and care to print and the price might be much higher.

By the way, remember how you were a little reluctant to learn SketchUp at first? I wish more people were as willing to overcome inertia.

Russ

Chuck Doan

I finished the manifold and cylinder head.

The previous parts were about sixty dollars, and this cluster is about forty (printed in the higher res version material). I did double up on the parts to allow for different orientations. In 1/16th scale, if everything was done including the wheels, probably over 250. Maybe more.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

TRAINS1941

Those are some really nice looking parts.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

lab-dad

Thanks Chuck!
Might be an idea for a  "kit" for selected people. ;)....?.....
We don't want hacks building a Doanson.... ;D

Unc is right - more people should try Sketchup.
It's getting better/easier and really is a requirement if one intends to scratch build.
There is a learning curve but nothing worth while is easy....

Marty

Carlo

Chuck, Russ - Do you use Sketchup?
If so, it must be adequate for our needs, especially since I work in 1/12 scale.
Is it still free?  Source?
Carlo (it's time I drag myself into the new Century, I guess)

finescalerr

Chuck uses a very expensive professional program called Solid Works, something he works with in his profession everyday. The rest of us use SketchUp and it is pretty much all we need. Most hobbyists use the free version (SketchUp "Make"). It is available from a company called Trimble at https://www.sketchup.com. Any problem you encounter is more likely to be with a printing company than with SketchUp.

I'd encourage you and anyone else on this forum to download the program and mess around with it. You should be able to learn the basics quickly (two or three sessions) and it's fun. Our forum has a long sticky describing its use: http://www.finescalerr.com/smf/index.php?topic=877.0. Marc Reusser spent a lot of time creating the original instructions and others added a lot of very useful information for when you're a little farther along.

Creating a 3-D drawing is almost like scratchbuilding a model except you do it with a keyboard, mouse/trackpad, and monitor instead of knives, saws, and files. It can be very satisfying.

Russ