• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Fordson tugger hoist

Started by Chuck Doan, January 10, 2017, 09:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Fischer

Chuck-- I'm with Ray about reaching the pinnacle of realism... though maybe we should say "nearing" so there can be the possibility of an encore. This is WAY more than a model, and there is a great deal of satisfaction in just seeing such outstanding work. Your hand was a great background, as it implies so much more than simply being a scale reference. (I have always wanted to make a really large quarter to place in model photos.)

DF

Hydrostat

Chuck,

I'm still in awe of your incredible modeling skills and even more: your eye for detail, wear and traces/stains of time and use. I didn't dare to ask: May this work of art have a glimmer of politicallyness? The yellow cover once more vaguely reminds me of a statesman's headdress or something. Howsoever: Great work.

Cheers,
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

finescalerr

Volker, go stand in the corner. -- Russ

TRAINS1941

Has the next part of this beautiful creation started yet??  Well Chuck!!

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Chuck Doan

Thanks again Guys! No, Volker no politics in my hobby. Here are the final pictures. Next up is the Fordson tractor make-over.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Chuck Doan

Here are all the individual 3d printed parts used in the hoist. The bulk of the parts were made from plastic. The orange items were cast in brass from 3d printed masters for strength. All were modeled by me in Solidworks, based on my research of the prototype.

Some sub assemblies could have been consolidated, but I made individual parts to facilitate sanding the print lines, and also for painting and assembly.

The only sub-assembly painted as an assembled unit was the frame (only 6 redos). All other parts were painted separately and then assembled. I knew I would screw up some of the painting, and this way I only had to strip and redo a single item instead of an entire assembly. This decision paid off! Over and over.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

1-32

congratulations Chuck outstanding
cheers kim

TRAINS1941

Just amazing how much work you did on this winch!!

Can't wait for the Fordson to begin.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

finescalerr

Chuck, that component may represent the most perfect modeling you've done so far. I scrutinized your enginehouse diorama at the 1987 national NG convention in Pasadena and have studied every model you've built since. I feel qualified to pronounce the hoist an adequate subassembly. -- Russ

Barney

And I agree with all !!
Any one know how one can be a Monk so that ones eyes and body does not come in contact with such things in life !!!
Barney

EZnKY

I agree with Russ - most adequate!
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

nk

That is something to behold. Nice nice work Chuck.
You may ask yourself: "Well, how did I get here?"

http://public.fotki.com/nkhandekar/

Chuck Doan

Thanks again for the nice words! Thanks Russ, adequate is just enough without being too much. The best thing is trying new techniques. This is the biggest 3D printed model I have attempted, and I enjoyed modeling it twice, once on the computer and then in Real D. Using oil paints for the first time as well as discovering the unexpected Prismacolor "paint" added to the fun.

It has been over ten years(!) since my last Fordson, so I am also trying new things on this next one. Instead of re-working some of the marginal Danbury parts, I am going to try printing them. They will definitely have better detail than I achieved last time. So far, I am just going to do the parts above the engine and still use the die-cast body parts. Those parts are more difficult to 3D model, but I might look into having them scanned after I get the assembly re-done.

Here are the beginning computer models:

Dashboard

Air washer

Gas tank with correctly shaped ribs

Ray Dunakin

Awesome!

I just got back from my annual Nevada trip last week. While I was there, I came across the remains of a Fordson in the ruins of a mine structure. It looked like it had been used to power a compressor. I wish I could have gotten photos of it but it was late at night, and there was too much debris to get close.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Chuck, how did you arrive at the dimensions for those parts? Presumably they must fit the Danbury tractor. Did you spend a lot of time with a ruler and a real Fordson or did you "imagineer" the dimensions from photos and common sense? Either way I expect the results to be most satisfactory. -- Russ