• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Concrete colors - feedback

Started by lab-dad, December 20, 2009, 02:38:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lab-dad

Here are some samples I did for coloring the concrete foundations on the Corliss.

The First is stained with Silverwood and then some tan and gray powders.

The second was stained with thinned Vallejo black gray and a light dust of gray powder which was scrubbed off under running water with a stiff paintbrush.

The third was also done with the Vallejo but green powder was used first followed by heavier coat of tan and gray.

The last was done with Vallejo and then sealed with acrylic flat clear. Once dry a darker (less thinned) coat of the Vallejo was repeated twice.

Being the machine (Corliss) is inside, in use and well maintained I think #3 is definitely out.
I'd appreciate some feedback or suggestions of other methods to try.

-Marty

marklayton

Marty -

Experimenting with paint is fun!
#2 is promising, especially about 1/4 of the way up from the bottom.  IMHO, #4 is a bit too dark making it look too much like weathered wood.  And I agree - #3 is out.  But I'm interested in the effect on #1.  Flip it 180°, and it looks like concrete that's been rain-spashed with clay soil.  I've seen that on foundations, and the color never seems to wash out.  Of course, that won't work for your indoor scene.

Mark
He who dies with the most tools wins.

jacq01

In a hurry  ???   

I don't know how far Chuck is, but now I'll wait to see what you come up with.    ;D ;D ::)
  I'll put up some photo's as soon as I have time.

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

Chuck Doan

I am still trying things out. #2 looks good for a newer machine. I have seen examples of all your samples in real life though. The rust colors are usually due to a rusty something on the concrete, so not so good for yours.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

finescalerr

What Chuck says. Probably #2, maybe a subdued #4, but definitely neither of the two rusty blocks. In the proper context, though, either might look very good in an outdoor setting. Very useful experiment. Nice work. -- Russ

RoughboyModelworks

Marty:

No.2 gets my vote as well. They're all good for different applications, but I think 2 is probably closest for representing an indoor engine base, particularly for an engine that would be in constant use and well-maintained.

Paul

Brian Donovan

I know I'm a bit late on this but #2 is a nice match to this recycled slab of 50+ year old concrete sidewalk -

-Brian