• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/87 scale cedar shakes

Started by chester, October 09, 2009, 06:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chester

I've been dissatisfied with the products commercially available out there for cedar shakes in the scale. Most are far too large (out of scale) and have willy-nilly patterning that is more cartoonish than rustic looking. In an attempt to do my own I have tried paper and real wood and none have really been that successful. In building a farmhouse lately, I wanted to do a connecting el to a barn but didn't want the clapboard finish that is.040 spaced Evergreen styrene. Nor did I want the board by board finish of the barn. So I switched to a .060 styrene clapboard and did some scoring vertically the same way I would lay shakes on a building in 1/1. The process is time consuming and a bit mind numbing but I was satisfied with the results. After a light brushing with a brass brush, I painted with roof brown and did an acrylic wash with dark gray. After a dry brushing of the butts with a lighter gray this is the result. And before Marc comments on the orangey roof, it will be subdued.

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

MrBrownstone

Hey Chester,

I like the results as well... pretty straight forward process too

thanks

Mike