• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Chipping Technique Using Glass Cleaner (Windex)

Started by JohnTolcher, June 22, 2013, 02:46:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnTolcher

Thanks for replies gents.

Hi Andi, I didn't see that one. They built them here too, my sister had a yellow one a bit like this -well in a lot better condition!

Hi Jim, the base and top coats are Tamiya acrylics which are strictly speaking lacquers I think. I suspect the interaction between windex and these paints is the secret, I'm not confident that it would work with others. But I could be wrong!

Here's another update, getting close to finishing now.

The wheels are on, with a fine spray of mud. This is a mix of pigments and pigment fixer to make a wet slurry, then picked up on an old paint brush. My airbrush was then used to blow air through it, spraying the mud.

As you can see the tail lights and sundry small items have to be painted and added, then some last oil paint effects and a very light filter/dust.

Cheers
JT
Cheers
John in Australia

Alexandre

Chuck Doan

Will it pass the MOT inspection? The fading on the blue door is especially nice.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

jim s-w

It might  :)

There's a different MOT for classic cars and none of the rust looks structural.   There's talk over here of abandoning it alltogether for classic cars (which sounds like a really bad idea to me) as well as freezing the year that a car becomes a classic. 

Good tip on the airbrush through a paintbrush, I might try that for dead flies on the front of a loco.   

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

marc_reusser

That is looking really great. The whole thing is seet, but I particularly like the blue door and right front fender.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Geoff Ringle

There you go... now you will need to build a world class diorama so that you do not diminish the realism of this model.

finescalerr

JohnTolcher

Thankyou guys for your feedback!

I'll also take this opportunity to upload some of the images that were linked here.

Cheers
JT
Cheers
John in Australia

JohnTolcher

Okay I'm calling this finished. As usual its rustier and dirtier than I originally intended, what can I say - I just love banged up old stuff!

Cheers
JT
Cheers
John in Australia

JohnTolcher

Cheers
John in Australia

JohnTolcher

Cheers
John in Australia

finescalerr

Ray Dunakin

Beautiful! The fading and rust are spot on, and the mud technique is brilliant.

One small item bothers me... the tail lights, and the front turn signal lights, seem a bit too shiny considering how dusty the rest of the car is. But that might just be an effect of the photographic lighting.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Alexandre

Beautiful job all around, and these dirty windows are especially beautifully done.  :)

marc_reusser

Another beauty from you. Just splendid.

FWIW, a way to resolve the issue that Ray pointed out with the "too bright red tail lights",...a lot of these plastic light covers would darken and fade with age, I found that by painting them to the desired darkness/shading/effect, with Tamiya "Smoke" pretty well replicates this effect.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works