• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Silverwood , alternatives

Started by Gordon Ferguson, October 05, 2012, 02:16:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jacq01

Check Marcel Ackle's sbs on his webpages or MIBA special 95 ( german).
  Marcel has achieved very good results without fading over time.

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

Mr Potato Head

WOW :o :o
cloaning Floquil Stain! '
what's next ???
Sheep ::)
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

Mobilgas

Marc,    Thanks for posting your how to on working WET in acrylics  ;D ;D ;)
Craig

David Emery

I got a bottle of the new Floquil "driftwood" and compared it to the 2 bottles of original Driftwood I have.  The new stuff is way too green.

dave

Mobilgas

I have a couple unopened bottles of the orig. driftwood stain. ;) My old Gas Station project I used the old Flo-stain stains...driftwood...natural pine...and Oak I believe as a Base on all the wood, the orig Floquil driftwood turned a greenish color after quite a few years ??? more years than I want to say :o This was the main reason I scraped the whole build and wanted to start over. I don't know if you can see the green tint? In the photo I posted.
Craig

finescalerr

I never understood why Floquil Driftwood had such a following, even back in the days when the stuff was pretty new. I tried it a couple of times and probably still have the original two bottles I bought; I threw away the scraps of wood I tested it on because they just didn't look good to me. Marc's technique, Chuck's, and others seem to yield superior results.

Is the popularity of Driftwood stain because Floquil is a line mainly targeting model railroad guys and so when one guy likes it every other railroad guy hears about it and copies him?

If that is the case, then I'd be curious whether people who build dioramas of other subjects have their own "standard" products and whether they are the same, better, or worse overall that what railroad guys use.

I guess, at the heart of it, is a feeling that many of us see something in print and, partly because it is in print, accept it as "the way you do that". Rather than try something different or improve upon the technique or product we simply use what our friends use and copy what we see others do. I've never been able to invent a technique but I certainly have tried (sometimes with hideous results) to modify some.

Comments?

Russ

danpickard

"  Is the popularity of Driftwood stain because Floquil is a line mainly targeting model railroad guys and so when one guy likes it every other railroad guy hears about it and copies him? I guess, at the heart of it, is a feeling that many of us see something in print and, partly because it is in print, accept it as the way you do that.  "

Um, bingo Russ.

Dan

David Emery

I think there are 3 reasons for the popularity of original Floquil driftwood:
  1.  George Sellios and some other master modelers recommended it
  2.  A long time ago, it was pretty easy to get
  3.  For some areas & some kinds of wood, the slightly greenish tint is appropriate

For a long time I've been a fan of A-West's "Weather It".  I tried the pickling solution and didn't get good results.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, I've been using HunterLine stains recently. 

dave

shropshire lad

Quote from: danpickard on April 20, 2013, 10:43:03 PM
"  Is the popularity of Driftwood stain because Floquil is a line mainly targeting model railroad guys and so when one guy likes it every other railroad guy hears about it and copies him? I guess, at the heart of it, is a feeling that many of us see something in print and, partly because it is in print, accept it as the way you do that.  "

Um, bingo Russ.

Dan

That may also explain why many ( most?) military modellers use painted styrene to represent wood . Mostly with not very convincing results .

Nick

Mobilgas

I have some Hunterline stains.....but I'm thinking why use it if its going to fade quickly  ;D
Craig

danpickard

Marc,
I'm not familiar with "Model Fan Magazine".  Can you provide any further details on this publication or links...a quick google didn't show me much unfortunately.

Cheers,
Dan

Mobilgas

Dan,   I believe the... Model Fan Magazine...is a German mag?
Craig

Design-HSB

Quote from: danpickard on April 21, 2013, 04:51:58 PM
Marc,
I'm not familiar with "Model Fan Magazine".  Can you provide any further details on this publication or links...a quick google didn't show me much unfortunately.

Cheers,
Dan
Dan, there is an APP modell fan or in the www
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

mad gerald

... in this issue part 1 (Projekt: Verwittertes Holz) was published ...
http://www.modellfan.de/zeitschrift.cfm?heft=901&nav=930

... in this issue you can find part 2 ...
http://www.modellfan.de/zeitschrift.cfm?heft=920&nav=930

... part 3 can be found here ...
http://www.modellfan.de/zeitschrift.cfm?heft=942&nav=930

You can purchase single mags online directly from the publisher ... or consult IMHO any european modelling dealer (in case he stocks the items), i. e. : http://www.modellbau-koenig.de/Suche/modell_fan.htm?n_vl=modell+fan

cheers

finescalerr

I will wait for the movie with English subtitles. Besides, I am personal friends with the star. -- Russ