• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Help wanted: How to make look plaster like old concrete

Started by mad gerald, March 12, 2012, 03:26:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

Well, I think these results came out quite well....especially when they are in place, in context, and have some additionl dirt and staining on them.

The only nit-pick for your final pieces, is to not round off the outside corners and edges so much...even when tooled, and old, concrete squares /paving still generally has a pretty square-ish and straight-ish edge.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Hauk

Quote from: mad gerald on July 13, 2013, 09:42:43 AM
... these pieces really look tiny ... is this H0 scale ... and what do they represent?

Yes, they are H0 scale pillars for the warehouse I´m building.
I went to the trouble of making board by board formwork, but I am not sure it is qoing to show in the end. But it was sort of fun making the little buggers.

They are a little under an inch tall.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Malachi Constant

Wow, those look even better in close-up than they did in the wider view!  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

chester

Well certainly nothing looks quite like cement than cement itself. Better yes.

Nice piers Hauk.

mad gerald

G'day all,

Quote from: Hauk on July 14, 2013, 02:10:47 PM
Yes, they are H0 scale pillars for the warehouse I´m building.
... ah, thanks ...

Here I have an example of some brandnew and older concrete paving slabs for a better comparison (as actually some of them had to be replaced on my front yard):

I changed the mixture increasing the plaster part in relation to the joint mortar part, but the compound is still a little fragile/crumbly ... colouring was done with artists water colour instead of acrylic colour because of the latter containing to much latex ...

Cheers

marc_reusser

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works