• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Input needed on 1/87 modulation

Started by modelico, January 21, 2012, 02:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordon Ferguson

Detail, detail Marc ............ Next you will be counting rivets, please consider the bigger picture  ;)
Gordon

SandiaPaul

Paul

eTraxx

.. oh! .. yeah .. okay. She's firing a weapon .. :/
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Lawton Maner

Marc:

True it isn't an AK, but she is wearing Uncle Russ' required fashion accessory.  And, I don't mean the weapon.

Lawton

JohnTolcher

Quote from: David Emery on October 06, 2012, 06:20:03 PM
Quote from: marc_reusser on October 06, 2012, 02:12:11 PM
There are a good number of examples of CM out on the web. Have a look at some of the good quality ssmall scale armor forums.

Insofar as members here....John Tolcher has been working on a 1/76 (S-scale) diesel where I believe he employs some CM (there is a thread on the AK forum).

Rick Lawler has a great example thread, also on the AK forum,  in which he is showing CM on a wargaming scle tank, which I believe is even smaller than HO.
1/76 is 00, S scale is 1/64.  A lot of wargaming armor is 1/144, if I remember right.

dave

Hi guys,
Yes it is 1:64, in fact it's Sn3.5. So even though it's 1:64 it fits on a HO track.

Hi Modelico, I did do some colour modulation on this model, here's some photos so you can get an idea. Also its the same size as a large HO locomotive, so I think the scale is relevant.

I don't usually do CM, but I saw this photo; the variations between the panels and within some panels really appealled to me. So I tried this, just variations in fading. I didn't try to do any zenith lighting effects.

The model came as a unpainted resin kit, that needed an electric mechanism inside. I built it as a static model with some scratch work, and painted it with some heavy chipping using AK Interactives Worn Effects fluid. No CM at this stage, it would have been too difficult to control the paint thickness for the chipping effect.

A filter/dust layer was airbrush on:

Now the CM was added using oil paint glazes, some panels lightened and others darkened, some edges highlighted. Plus some rust was added also using oils.

I'm not sure if this is real colour modulation acording to the Adam Wilder etc technique, but rather just mixing up the colour on different panels. Anyway, I hope this helps.

Cheers
JT
Cheers
John in Australia

Malachi Constant

John -- Nice work all over that beast!  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Ray Dunakin

Nice weathering, really grungy looking!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

modelico

wow! it looks awsome! One of the best works I have seen so far regarding a loco weathering.
Artificial intelligence is not a substitute for natural stupidity