• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Stains and Flourescent lights

Started by Younger, November 05, 2011, 07:29:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Younger

Question for the group. For years I have used variations of the india ink/alcohol mixture, as well as Silverwood and other commercial stains to represent unpainted wood. The effects are as desired when treated, but I notice that after a while under flourescent lights the wood gets lighter and lighter, until it looks untreated. Anybody else noticed this, and come up with a solution to the problem, or should I be using another technique. TIA
-Younger
-Younger

DaKra

Flourescent lights put out more UV than incandescents, UV light tends to be harsher on dyes.   I believe you can purchase a UV filter, which might help.  Personally I prefer incandescents, they more resemble sunlight, and can be dimmed nicely.

Seattle Dave

I have noted the same thing as Younger, but my model room is lit by incandescents, and still stains and washes fade out over time.  No solutions from me either, sorry.
Dave VanderWal

lab-dad

I think the solution is to keep building new models!
May be this is why so many railroads get torn down after being finished?
Sorry I am of no help either.
-Marty

marc_reusser

Jerry,

Maybe try using acrylic washes like Doug Ramos does....or "working wet" with acrylics like Per Olav Lund does.

I have for the most part moved away from the silverwood (and was never a fan of the IA)....as I feel the acrylics give you a far better range of color and and hue, and the finish is more opaque...thus resulting in a more realistic appearance Iespecially once you get into the 1/32 stuff you're doing). I belive the acrylics will give you more lasting color permanance......plus its more fun stuff to buy. ;D

Why not see if Doug will do a small cliinic/demo at the next meet.

M

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

finescalerr

Marc beat me to that suggestion. It seems to be about the only alternative. -- Russ

Younger

Thanks, guys, I'll see if I can get some info from Doug.
-Younger
-Younger

finescalerr

Unless I'm mistaken, Doug's info, step-by-step, is in the current Narrow Gauge Annual. -- Russ

shropshire lad

Quote from: finescalerr on November 06, 2011, 01:33:31 PM
Unless I'm mistaken, Doug's info, step-by-step, is in the current Narrow Gauge Annual. -- Russ

Well , if you don't know for sure , who can we ask to get confirmation that it is ?

finescalerr

Nick, go stand in the corner. -- ssuR

davidkilby

I have flourescent lights in my workshop where I have a large 1:20.3 diorama I have been building for a few years.  I used Silverwood in a couple of places and noticed after one year the wood almost bleached out.  I re-coated with Silverwood again and by year two, almost the same result.  I never thought about the cause being attributed to the lighting. Inever really liked the results of Silverwood or black ink/alcohol dyes mostly because there is no color variation.  I'm glad i did all of my other wood treatments with acrylic paints.  This winter I plan to work with oil based washes and see if i get better results.

David

mad gerald

I only made the observation, that these special energy saving fluorescent illuminants/bulbs let stained parts of a modell appear in quite a different (greenish) colour compared to daylight, while taking photos of it ...

BTW: I'm not trying to be more Catholic than the Pope or a nitpicker, but I'm curious if "flourescent" is the american spelling of "fluorescent" ... or in this case simply a misspelling ...   ???

finescalerr

It is a misspelling.

Fluorescent bulbs come in different color temperatures. By choosing, for example, 9300K bulbs you should see no "green" tint.

Russ

marc_reusser

Isn't true color (or as close to natural light) somewhere around 5000-5300K?

Gerald,
When shooting photos in flouresc. you can get rid of any discoloration/tint, by manually pre-setting your "white balance" on the camera.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Ray Dunakin

I think that as more people switch to fluorescents, by choice or by mandate, they're going to discover a lot of things in their homes becoming faded or damaged by UV.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World