• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Luke's Garage & Gas Station

Started by Stuart, June 29, 2022, 10:40:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuart

Another area of my focus has been a modification to the winch I'm using in the outdoor repair area next to the garage. 

In my research I discovered that in the 1930's prior to the advent of hydraulic lifts a typical method of working under a vehicle was to simply hoist the front end up in the air and then prop some tall jack stands under the wheels to keep the mechanic safe during repair work.

Repair garage interior.jpg

The winch I am using has a hand crank and a gear system to increase the lifting advantage.  This system works okay, along with the block and tackle pully arrangement on the hoist, but, once the vehicle is up in the air, simply releasing the pawl to bring the vehicle back down to ground level while trying to provide a smooth decent would be extremally difficult and hazardous.  To allow a controlled lowering of a raised vehicle, I am adding a band type braking system to the opposite side of my winch.

This is a bit of a fee-lance effort.  I don't have a prototype to refer to, just some photos of various braking systems but I think my method is at least plausible.

I used SketchUp to draw this up in 3D and will see how skilled I am at printing this with my equipment.

Winch 1.jpg

Winch 2.jpg

Mar082014_1202.JPG

My 1/12th scale winch.  This is a white metal kit from Ozark Miniatures, if I remember correctly.   

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

The founders of Ozark, the Hergets, would have loved to see your work. -- Russ

fspg2

That looks great - I like it!
You seem to have got to grips with CAD and 3D printing very quickly!
Frithjof

Stuart

Thanks Ray, Russ and Frithjof.

Frithjof - Actually I have had a pretty long term relationship with CAD systems through the years.  What's new to me is the 3D printing process.  Fortunately, with the advantage of on-line tutorials and the help of generous guidance from forum members such as Lawrence and Volker, the learning curve has been less steep.

Thanks for all contributions each member brings to this forum.  Whether it relates directly to my particular circumstances or not, each of you provide a certain amount of inspiration to carry on and excel in this particular art form.

Stuart

Lawrence@NZFinescale

The brake should be printable, though I would use real wire for the rods.
Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

Stuart

Thanks Lawrence, I was thinking the same thing with regard to using wire for the rods.

Stuart

The brake lever and brake band have been printed and temporarily applied to the winch just to see how it all works out.

Winch w- brake lever & brake belt.jpg

finescalerr

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World