• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1:48 Card Structure Flat, Probably The Last In My Waterfront Series.

Started by finescalerr, March 03, 2018, 02:46:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

I'm posting these iPhone shots just to show I still do fumble around in the workshop now and then. The model is about one-third to half complete, the third major structure for a 1:48 waterfront diorama I may never build. It consists of inkjet printed 110 pound paper laminated onto heavy Strathmore sub-walls, each board line scribed, and laser cut doors and windows from my own CAD drawings. It is the third major structure of the series. I enjoyed designing it and creating the siding artwork but assembling it would be less fun than playing jazz if there were anyone left to perform with. -- Russ

finescalerr

TRAINS1941

Why that's down right nice Unc!  And paper no less.

What does the building represent kind of business??
That would be nice in wood.
Do you happened to have the file for it??

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

finescalerr

Thanks, Jerry. It's the warehouse part of a two-abutting-structures industry called Harbor Dock & Freight. It's card because the other two buildings are card and things would look inconsistent were I to have used wood. I have the CAD plan and maybe also color artwork for the walls. -- Russ

Greg Hile

Quite adequate, my friend, and I'd love to see some more details on the overall project.

Hydrostat

No room for criticism so far. Grain at the wooden base is a bit coarse.

Cheers,
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

finescalerr

The "wooden base" is a handmade oak tool chest I received as a gift from a terrific modeler and true gentleman unfortunately no longer with us. His name was Bill Coffey. I put the structure on top of it for the mediocre snapshot. -- Russ

Bill Gill

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Design-HSB

Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

finescalerr

The windows are laser cut Strathmore from my CAD drawings. Didn't I write that earlier?

Helmut, I will take more photos soon. For now, here is a drawing. Please note: The loading dock will extend the full width of the building to help people avoid falling to their death. It might also preserve the occasional box of freight. -- Russ

Design-HSB

Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

lab-dad

Nice to see you contributing again (other than the eloquent wordsmithing...)

Marty (in the corner)

Greg Hile

I, too, am really glad to see this. So much so, I purchased a back issue of Finescale Railroader (Dec 2005) in order to read Russ' article on modeling with cardstock, and I have been thinking of how to utilize the advantages of cardstock in an outdoor, large scale setting. I know Ray has used vinyl on the interiors of some of his buildings and I have been contemplating using a Cricut die cutter to do the same.

Hydrostat

I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"