• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Cat 60's in 1:20

Started by NORCALLOGGER, July 31, 2009, 08:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krusty

Wot Nick said.

Also well worth checking out is Michael Rinaldi's PhotoTime site, particularly his 'Techniques' folder, at <http://www.fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dll/home?userid={F9F3E062-FE3B-4434-9898-193F749A47C4}>.

PS. The Cats are beautiful.
Kevin Crosado

"Caroline Wheeler's birthday present was made from the skins of dead Jim Morrisons
That's why it smelt so bad"

LaserM

Quote from: MrBrownstone on August 01, 2009, 01:24:47 AM
Not sure if the rail car would be bent as much...but I am the last one here who would know for sure.

One of these photos that I attached has a D&RGW gondola that was converted to carry pipe in it's day.  It is the one on the back of these cars at the Orange Empire Railway Museum.  I'm told by the staff here, that this car was continually being loaded far in excess of its weight limitation and that, more than weather, caused the warpage of this car.  Overloading and abuse of the cars was common place at one time. 

The photo of the cars doesn't really show how much this car is bent (I was photographing the bottom dumper at the time.).  However, you can see from the photo of the couplers that the alignment suffered.

I like your bent car too. 

Mike

NORCALLOGGER

Hello all,
Thanks for the additional comments.

Nick,
Appreciate the links to the military modeling sights, lots to see and read there.

Mike,
Perhaps the word intimidation was a bit strong, but after viewing the work presented here it sure makes a fella think twice about putting his stuff up on the line.  But, you are right this is how we learn and hopefully improve.

Laser Mike,
Thanks for the supporting pictures.  Is that one of the old stock cars that was cut down for flat/gon work?  Or am I confused again?

Thanks for the interest.
Rick Marty

LaserM

This is a gondola converted for carrying long pipe loads.  I was told the history of the car but I didn't know there would be a test and I didn't take notes.  I may have some stories crossed so please don't quote me as a reliable source for this.  If you are really interested, I can try to research it next time I'm out at the OERM.  I can take some better photos as well.

Anyway, I think this link is related to the story:
http://www.drgw.net/info/index.php?n=Main.FarmingtonBranch

In the early 1930's there wasn't much going on with the Farmington Branch of the D&RGW and it was still 3' gauge.  Nothing new was being purchased and the general maintenance on the equipment was poor.  About this time, there was a hugh natural gas and oil boom in the area and a sudden need to move a lot of pipe very quickly down the line.  The railroad ordered new, longer flat cars for this but while waiting for them to be built, every flat car they could find went into service and several gondolas were quickly converted by knocking off the ends and adding some extra bracing.  This gondola was one of those converted.

Here is a photo I found of a sister car:
http://www.cumbrestoltec.org/rs.php?num=1145&size=l
The pipe gondola in my photo is the D&RGW #1155

I hope I get an A but I wouldn't bet on it.  I know there are many D&RGW fans in this forum.  How about a little help here.

Mike

Chuck Doan

These are great Rick! I like the Cat 60's a lot. Clean is cool, maybe these are recently purchased units heading out for the first time.

Nice looking layout too.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

TRAINS1941

Rick

Great job on the cats, excellent subject to scratchbuild.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Ray Dunakin

Wow, those are great! Really nice work.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

marc_reusser

Rick,

Just floored by these. Beautiful scratchbuilding work.....I do feel intimidated by these  :-\.

Are the the link-by-link tracks you used something that is readily available?

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

NORCALLOGGER

Hi all,
Thanks for the additional kind comments, they are encouraging.

Nick,
I have been checking out those Military Modeling sights that you
recommended, looking for weathering ideas/instruction. 
Boy, talk about a Mt. Everest learning curve, not sure I have enough time
left to absorb all that knowledge.  Oh' well, one idea at a time.

Marc,
I finally found those metal tracks at a little company in Oregon.
They were actually painted with a heavy coat of gloss white
enamel if you can believe that.  A bucket of paint stripper was the first step.

Some here might be interested in checking out this company so here is the link,
I have no connection with them other than as a customer.

Their web site is well worth a visit.

http://www.constructioncollector.com/10053.html

Thanks for your time.
Rick Marty

jacq01

put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.