• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Speedway Sign

Started by Ken Hamilton, July 30, 2009, 07:08:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Hamilton

Since Uncle Russ has put the "OK" stamp on posting non-rail-related projects,
here's another one from the archives you guys might enjoy.  Actually, the idea
could be used on a layout as a road sign leading to an off-site attraction.

An old photo that appeared in the local paper provided the "had-to-build" subject.
Here's the early progress shot, with a 1/25th-scale Henry J and three hand-carved
blocks of plaster.  The measurements were guesstimated from the photo and I
tried to follow the pattern of the blocks as closely as possible...

The signs were hand-painted using the photo as a guide.  Not exact, but "close enough"....

Here's the end result.....

As the saying goes, "....Gone But Not Forgotten..."

Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

chester

A classic Ken, and one that inspired a whole batch of roadside advertising dioramas (RAD's). Would be interested in what some members of this group would come up with.

Chuck Doan

One of my favorites of yours.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

finescalerr

MrBrownstone

Hello Ken,

I love it....  ;D

stirs up lot's of ideas....

Mike

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

mobilgas

look's good, very nice job !!!      Craig   

marc_reusser

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

RoughboyModelworks

Nicely done Ken... very evocative. A fitting commentary on an almost vanished culture.

Paul

John McGuyer

Now you need to do the airplane through the roof one.

John

MrBrownstone

hey guy's,

hey I actually remeber seeing the airplane one when I was very young. (just don't recall where)...  ;D

I also can remeber a giant bucket of popcorn on the snack-bar roof at the drive-in...(I still don't like popcorn  :o )

great work...

Mike

marklayton

This would be an interesting modeling project...Ripley's museum in Ocean City, MD.  Yes, the shark is animated with moving head and tail!

I've also seen a bar out near Frederick that has a light aircraft "crashed" through the gable wall.

Mark
He who dies with the most tools wins.