• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Using Google SketchUp and printapart.com

Started by Fred H., April 15, 2010, 08:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hauk

Quote from: DaKra on September 16, 2010, 01:51:08 PM
Hey Russ, it would be a business investment with benefits.   On something as versatile as that, I have no doubt it would earn its keep.  Its really just an issue of the operator getting past the steep part of the learning curve.   I guess it would be obsolete by the time its paid off, but I'd have the experience.     

There are actually machines currently in the 10k range, but they lack the sharp resolution I'd want.   For the model work I have in mind, I'd need one that could at least match injection molded plastic.

The price of the machine is only part of the equation, the build materials are pretty expencive as well.

-Haavard
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

JohnP

Comparing two business models would be interesting.

1)  Injection molding with huge upfront costs for each model mold, high cost for a machine and with a low cost for materials and time per unit.

2)  Fine resolution 3-D printing with a very large upfront cost for a machine, apparently higher material cost, lots more time per unit BUT zero cost for model "mold".

Design cost would be less for the printing because there are far fewer constraints on the number of parts needed for an assembly (no problem with undercuts hence no need for multi-part sliding molds or multiple pieces), plus few sprues to worry about. I bet energy costs are significantly lower for the printer too.

Injection molding would need many units sold or a high price for the return on investment. With printing you could make 10 of something or 1000 and the cost is the same (other than spreading out the design time and marketing costs).

What are we waiting for??

John
John Palecki

Chuck Doan

Printing time is still a significant and expensive factor. It is very slow and even more so for higher resolution.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

marc_reusser

So...found out something interesting today, thanks to another modeler and mfr.....apparently these pieces were done by PAP as well. These are about 1/56 scale, and as you can see in the images were used as masters for white metal and resin casting.  Note the nice clean detail at this scale, and the near lack of any surface texture on the PAP parts...note also it's not the blue resin we have seen so far.

http://www.fortressfigures.com/Fortress_Figures/Archive_4/Pages/Alamo_Guns.html#11

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

RoughboyModelworks

Yes, these are very clean Marc, some texture, but very slight. PAP, or more specifically its parent company, does offer different printing materials, at different prices of course. Given that these parts are clear, I suspect they were printed with one of their other formulas. If you check out the parent site for PAP - Fineline Prototyping, you can see specs on the other materials they use. Downloadable datasheets are available for each material.

Paul

marc_reusser

Yeah,  I have seen the other stuff and comparison charts....I hope to find out what combination these were.

Marc

M-Works

Hauk

Quote from: marc_reusser on November 23, 2010, 09:32:07 PM
So...found out something interesting today, thanks to another modeler and mfr.....apparently these pieces were done by PAP as well. These are about 1/56 scale, and as you can see in the images were used as masters for white metal and resin casting. 

I tought 54mm scale was 1/32?
But I still agree that the parts look very good.

Regards, Hauk
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

eTraxx

Check out their MicroFine Green (under Materials). Says it's custom formulated for their micro-resolution sterolithography progress.

Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Chuck Doan

What can be done is one thing. What can be done affordably is another. I have heard the green parts are dramatically more expensive.
Hopefully prices will come down in time.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Hauk

Quote from: marc_reusser on November 23, 2010, 09:32:07 PM
So...found out something interesting today, thanks to another modeler and mfr.....apparently these pieces were done by PAP as well.

Browsing some other galleries, I discovered that he had used this service provide for some other parts:
http://www.moddler.com/

Would be interesting to know if he printed the cannons there as well!

Regards, Hauk
Regards, Hauk
--

marc_reusser

I was told by a person that knows him well that the cannons were done by PAP.

Marc

M-Works

clevermod01

I just got a sample from a rapid proto company called "Fastproto" out of Oklahoma The plastic is white almost opaque Min resolution is 0.6mm
(.024 in ) Almost no texture but a bit brittle. they use a system called Polyjet.
Any one have any experience with them?