• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Examples of the "Salt Technique"

Started by Ken Hamilton, October 20, 2009, 07:03:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

A long  (10 pg.) thread.....and the subject matter and stylized (but appropriate for this genre of model) finishes may not be everyones cup of tea.....but I would rate it as a "must read" (at least the builders posts) for the variety of finish techniques and approaches discussed/shown.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/viewthread.php?tid=31535&page=1

It covers everything from salt technique to metal and fabric surfaces, figure painting and ground-work/display.

There are defniitely ideas and approaches to come away with, that can be used or modified and added to your toolbox/bag of tricks.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Ken Hamilton

Thanks, Marc.  You're right - those techniques can be used anywhere.
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

Ray Dunakin

I just finished all ten pages of that link. Amazing work and very interesting.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Franck Tavernier

Thanks Marc. Awesome! I am now much more convinced!  ;)

MrBrownstone

Thanks Marc,

Very much informative...   :)

Mike

mobilgas

Thanks Marc,    Great info....wish i could paint like that..........Craig

Hauk

Quote from: marc_reusser on October 22, 2009, 11:14:14 PM
A long  (10 pg.) thread.....and the subject matter and stylized (but appropriate for this genre of model) finishes may not be everyones cup of tea.....but I would rate it as a "must read" (at least the builders posts) for the variety of finish techniques and approaches discussed/shown.

An excellent tutorial!
The subject of modelling is not my cup of coffee, but with painting skills like that he could model  soviet-era refrigerators and washing machines and I still would read his posts with great interest.
Thanks for the link!
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Damn Cranky

The salting technique can be adapted and perfect to any type of model building . . . also, I continue to experiment with the effects of using the salt wet and then spraying Floquil and Tamiya acrylics over the moist salt to create organic speckling, fading, and chipping . . . ultimately, there's no way to control the effect other than using the Iwata Micron C or a better, finer airbrush . . .

The fun continues.  Marc has been a great inspiration to continue with the experimentation.
Crazy About Rust!

DaKra

The salt technique is ingeniously simple.  Here is my first attempt, the entire HO scale model took me about 1 hr start to finish.  Nothing fancy, just brown paint, salt, black paint.   The headlight is a stick-on craft store "jewel" (I removed it and sanded it down after the photo.)   

Dave

Damn Cranky

Indeed, it is very exciting when you do it the first couple of times and realize how utterly simple and fun it is . . . and sure, it works on any scale.  Keep having a blast with the results. ;D

Crazy About Rust!

Hector Bell

So, that's the salt technique sorted!
I forced myself through all the pages of that sorry subject matter, but I must say, the guy has nsome serious patiece and techniques up his iron sleeve.
Thanks for the link, Russ.  And may I apologise on behalf of all Brits and say that we're not all sci-fi loving stay at home nerds who think "space marines" are real!

Martin

Bexley

Quote from: Hector Bell on October 20, 2010, 05:01:37 AMwe're not all sci-fi loving stay at home nerds who think "space marines" are real!

The better ones are. ;)
CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

Hector Bell

Unfortunately, I can believe that.

Martin

marc_reusser

The rest are down at the local pub yelling at the football match on the telly.  ;) ;D :P

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

JohnP

I know as much about the salt technique as I do space marines. I think I'll sign up...to try the salt technique on a few scrap bridge parts.

I'd get claustrophobic in the space suit thingy so skip that.

Thanks, John
John Palecki