• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Home made tools? Lets see them!

Started by Hauk, October 05, 2009, 11:19:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirky

One I use a lot... Two blades glued together with loctite and wrinkeled in tape for protection. You can cut perfect paralles stripes with this and it's easy to make different sizes by entering a piece of card or so in between blades.
Hope the picture shows it clear enough!

Dirky

For a brass scale PROTO87 loc I needed rivet patterns:

this is the tool I use on an old press:

The movement of the pin is limited in order to get equal rivet heads all over.

Dirky

and number 3 for today:

I often make turning tools for brass and aluminum using worn jig-jaw blades. These blades are hard, easy to grind and otherwise you would trow them away anyway... I give them a second life!  :)

Dirky

Why not continue...

looking at the brass loc you see the profile that runs from watertank to cabin and around the side opening. This was made from thin gauge copper wire that I ran through this simple electrical driven roll-former. The L-shape measures approx. 0.4mm sq.

RoughboyModelworks

Well I didn't make this at home but at a cabinet shop back in 1990. I'm posting it here now because it was one of the items we retrieved in the legal battle with our former business partners in the motorcycle shop. Just got it moved back into the house yesterday afternoon, a little worse for wear from the way the douche-bag had dragged it around and stored it for two years, but nonetheless in generally good nick. It's made from maple and cherry (dark wood pieces on the vices and in the center of the legs are cherry). It's just over 7.5 feet long with the tail vise closed as in the pictures. First couple of pics are overall views of the bench, third is a detail of the dovetail joint on the tail vise.

Paul

Belg

Paul, its great to hear that you finally got your stuff back. The workbench is certainly a very nice piece of woodworking. Now just tell us how you really feel about your ex partner. LOL Pat

RoughboyModelworks

Thanks Pat... bench is just beginning to show its age, but the scars and stains add character. Seemed a lot heavier than I remembered it or it could be I'm just getting older...  ;) Concerning the former partner, I was exercising polite restraint... ;D ;D

Paul

Belg

I remember from our emails how much you REALLY LOVE HIM! I like how you cut those huge dovetails to support the vice, I have seen these done now-adays with double screw vices. Did you use that wide a stock that you needed extra width? Pat

RoughboyModelworks

Yes, he's what I charitably call a "pioneer in the field of animal husbandry."... ;)

Yes, the end beams on the bench and the front rail that holds the face vise are formed from two laminated pieces of Maple for a total width of just over 3 inches. The top is 4 inches thick. You can see the lamination joint in the ends of the dovetails. The dovetails were cut on a bandsaw, then the waste material was chiseled out by hand. The entire bench weighs in at around 250 lbs. The top rests on the base and registers in position with four 1" dia pegs that protrude from the base into a strut on the underside of the top. The strut is designed and fastened to the top in such a way that the top can expand and contract without affecting the alignment of the pegs.

Paul

Tom McInerney

made tools, I took a old razor saw blade and with a cut off wheel cut off 1/4 inch of the tip,then putting the cut off blade into an old knife handle and use it to grain wood,plastic and soft brass. Works good and lasts a long time    Tom McInerney (elk river rr)

eTraxx

CA / ACC / Super Glue Applicator. Micro-Mart has something similar .. their Mini-Loop Applicator for $8.30

Made this by grinding off the end of the eye of a tapestry needle and cementing the other end into a piece of dowel.
The "Y" holds the supper glue until you touch it to something and then it is "sucked" off. Pin-point accuracy. When the superglue clogs it up .. simply hit with a cigarette lighter and it burns off.

I painted the handle so I can distinguish between it and a another 'tool' I made .. the 'needle positioner' .. use this to hold something down while cementing using the applicator

Those tapestry needles .. made up one for scoring paper .. cut off the eye and cemented that into a dowel .. the ends are rounded .. works great
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"