• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Quickie Chip Experiment/Test (Using 'AK Interactive' fluids)

Started by marc_reusser, October 09, 2011, 02:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mad gerald

Marc,

Quote from: marc_reusser on March 09, 2012, 11:47:50 PM
Unfortunately I cannot, as this is part of a project for someone, who will publish the painting and weathering info later this year.

... ah, OK ... this is not so bad at the moment, as the HaWe trolley is a long term project anyway (as the most modelling projects  ;)) ... so don't worry ...  ;D

Cheers

Belg

Good afternoon guys, Marc terrific SBS and the results are great as well.

If I wanted to start experimenting with this type of finishing is there a thread here or elsewhere for the beginner? For me the terminology and the descriptions are too advanced at present. Want to learn to walk before I can run. Thanks Pat

marc_reusser

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

lab-dad

It is really easy guys.
Just give it a try.
Once you do it you will discover how it works and how to manipulate it.
I do it very differently but whatever works!
WHAT HAVE YOU GOT TO LOOSE?

-marty

marc_reusser

Just a quickie in progress.... :)

M-Works

Ray Dunakin

From the small glimpses we've seen here, it's obvious this is going to be a real masterpiece!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

JESTER

Wow Marc, your work never ceases to amaze me!

I took this photo yesterday. The chipping looks similar to what you are doing. Do you freestyle or are you going off of reference?

-

marc_reusser

Thanks guys.  Figured I better show something so that you dont think I'm not doing anything.  :)

Tim;
I do both, The freestyle hang-ten...and photo reference.  Most of the time I will search the web for images of relevant items with the weathered look I am after, then I will print them out and use them at the bench for referenece while working. I generally do not do an exact copy of a finish from a specific photo, but rather choose a combination from several images that have a sim look to eachother, and to what I want, and then combine/pick-and-choose the parts/aspects I need or feel will work best for the build.....and that will in the viewers mind hopefully create a plausible and rational/reasoned look.

M-Works

Wesleybeks

Stunning stuff Marc.

Could you tell what you used for the base rust colours. It looks so real.
Kind Regards
Wesley

Modelling in sunny South Africa

Malachi Constant

Marc --

What are the "weapons of destruction" (tools, implements) that you're using for the chipping, scraping, etc?

Thanks!
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

marc_reusser

Thanks guys.

Wesley;
The base/rust tones is a random mix of Tamiya "Red Brown", "Brown" and some Black and or Yelllow. I just sort of mix it till I feel it's the color/shade I want. I do tend to do a slight amount of panel shading after the base coat is down, by adding black to the base coat color, and then applying it around recesses/panel lines/under-cuts etc.

In the case of the image; after the chipping I went in and did what I call a "Mapping Wash"....I used diluted Vallejo/Panzer Aces "Leather Belt", which was thinned by eye with distilled water to various intensities/opaqueness, and then randomly applied/washed into the exposed rust areas with a "0" brush. The number and opacity of applications varied from area to area. I then used the same color in almost full opacity and ran it along some of the the edges and bend in the bed.

Dallas;
The attached image shows what I use to do my chipping (used them all for the chipping in the image).
Left to Right:
T-Pin
Sharpened and/or Damp Toothpick
Two brushes hard/crusted with Mr. Surfacer
Various cut down brushes of different stiffness, shape and size.

M-Works

Gordon Ferguson

Dallas, will leave you to mention the "missing bit"   ;D  its age you know.
Gordon

Malachi Constant

Must have been attached in some new secret, stealth way ... must decode!  Some tricky sequence of left-click, right-click, double-click, etc.  This is gonna be a challenge.  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

marc_reusser

M-Works