• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Packaging Steam Locomotives for Shipping Part 1

Started by Jim Kottkamp, June 22, 2016, 04:01:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Kottkamp

This is a bit of follow-up on my Summer 2010 Narrow Gauge Annual, "How to Repair and Detail a Brass Locomotive".  The RGS T-19 in the article had suffered significant damage when shipped to my friend Jim Blakeman in Scotland.  Jim shipped the engine to me for repair, which was an extensive effort.  When it was time to ship the engine back to Jim, I needed to be sure it would arrive undamaged.

This may seem a bit over the top, but I believe the techniques are worth sharing.  The shipping base was designed to fully support the frame of the engine with the drive wheels not in touch with the base.  Cut-outs were necessary to protect brake rigging and the ash pan mechanism.

finescalerr

It's not over the top if you want to minimize the risk of a shipper destroying your model ... but it certainly is a time consuming inconvenience! -- Russ