• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

WWI Scot's in kilts at war figures?

Started by 5thwheel, May 29, 2013, 02:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5thwheel

HI all,

My cousin's son is interested in following Kilts at War history.  I suggested he start painting soldiers of that area and building up a collection and eventually some dioramas.  Any one know if military figures of that era are available? 

Thanks,
Bill
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

marc_reusser

I hve seen numerous WWI figures..though they are far less in number than WW2...but can't offhand recall any kilted ones. I have seen other earlier war (napoleonic/caucuses?) that there were kilted figures for...maybe a good way to go would be so of a bash use from the waist to the boot-tps from ie figure...boots and from waist up from another. .....may need some other sculpting and mods, but would at least get him in the ball-park.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Gordon Ferguson

Bill,

There are various suppliers of these , but it helps to decide what scale ?

Traditionally the single figure was either 54mm scale (roughly 1/32) although now a days 75mm & 120 mm scales seem to very popular.

For small Diorma , up to say 20 odd figures the choice was usually 54mm scale. For larger battle scenes with 100's of figures then 20mm ( roughly 1/72) or 30 mm were the scales of choice.

If you type in either your search engine or E-bay Scottish Toy Soldiers you will start to see the choice

As a start to try and answer your question have a look at "armies in plastic" they do specific boxed sets of WW1 Scottish soldiers in 1/32 scale.
They are moulded in a soft flexible plastic so detail is a bit soft , and to paint these you need to give a thorough wash to degrease them and then coat them with a PVA type glue (Unibond is perfect) as this gives a hard shell which will take paint and it will stay on.
These people also do a number of diorama bits like trenches , gun emplacements etc.

They also do a number of other Scottish soldiers in different history periods as well

HAT Industries also produce WW1 Scottish soldiers in 1/72 , I think these are a hard plastic so can be treated and painted in the normal way .

There is actually a lot of choice around in various scales and materials, plastic, resin & metal and also in styles ie from the traditional "toy soldiers"  made by Britains through to very highly detailed miniatures sometimes even depicting a specific named soldier at a certain time and place.

Gordon

5thwheel

Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.